Windows 11 Darktable 4.4.2 won't start

Oh. :exploding_head:

This is the latest Windows update. I think it has something to do with the Windows version. It worked previously. and I haven’t updated DT. Moreover, no version is working now.

@yogesh please share your log file.

which log file do you want me to share?

Start darktable with the -d all flag… oh bother. Just realised that the log file goes into that folder I gave above that’s apparently not on your system. Or rather, it’ll be there just somewhere else.

Yes. Still, let me try.

An update on my situation: I initially couldn’t find OpenCL on my system, so I wasn’t able to uninstall it. Eventually, I installed it from the Microsoft Store and then proceeded with the uninstallation. Surprisingly, this resolved the issue, and everything is now working fine. I want to express my gratitude to @123sg for your help and efforts.

1 Like

Well, very glad you’re up and running.
I can’t claim to be any kind of expert on all this, but happy if I helped.
Just to clarify, in case it helps anyone else, is this the thing you installed?

2 Likes

It’s a hidden folder.

1 Like

Thanks.

Which app uses openCL? what would be affected after we remove it?

Darktable :slight_smile:
Since the version you have installed is broken, its removal would most probably only help other software as well.
It’s used for GPGPU (general-purpose acceleration of computationally expensive operations using the graphics card).

1 Like

Check the FAQ. There is a known issue with the pro version of Windows.

1 Like

123sg, Steven,

Sorry, but I’ve had it. darktable is not worth this much effort for me.

Frank

No worries Frank, I’m only sorry that we weren’t able to help you get it working. All the best!

Sorry … this should not be so hard. I hope there is not a simple solution we have missed… I have run DT and upgraded many many times on WIn11 with no real issues. It would be nice to know what yours is…

What video card are you using… did you say?? Did you try the zipped version that I shared??

1 Like

You could try the current development build (“beta”, it will be released at Christmas).
The latest weekly build: darktable windows insider program 12/3
Nightly builds: GitHub - darktable-org/darktable at nightly

It exists, but the Explorer will not show this folder even with “Show hidden files” activated.

You have to

1. in file explorer navigate to the C:\Users"name"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\ folder,
  2. click the ellipsis in the icon bar at the top of the window and select options
  3. in the options window select the view tab
  4. in the Advanced Settings box, uncheck “hide protected operating systemfiles (recommended)”

This seems to be a feture to make the Explorer more userfriendly m(

I have the same problem and I discovered the weir solution, that is very simple, remove the memory card reader; sometimes the window shown bellow also shows up.

Captura de ecrã 2023-12-25 234955

I also had the same problem in the past with a external HDD, but that window never showed up and the solution was the same.

I think that window shows up when I try to open it and I have already tried before.

Yes, that´t it, uninstall it.