Windows 11 Darktable 4.4.2 won't start

I went into Win11’s EventViewer/Applications and looked for any files associated with darktable to no avail. Wrong place?

Note @kofa 's advice… backup and then delete all those files… see if DT starts… it will generate clean config files…if you don’t have much to recover you can carry on… if you have some things in the old configs you could revisit your backup…

As for the log its in

C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WIndows\Inetcache\darktable\

This is older now but I think still mostly accurate…

The configuration and operation files of darktable.pdf (183.9 KB)

Event Viewer, to the best of my knowledge, does not show files. Darktable’s logs are not sent to that tool.

Below is the content of the log file in the location you show.

Magick: caught exception 0xC0000005 “Access violation”…Magick: caught exception 0xC0000005 “Access violation”…Magick: caught exception 0xC0000005 “Access violation”…Magick: caught exception 0xC0000005 “Access violation”…Magick: caught exception 0xC0000005 “Access violation”…

I have also followed another topic here that led me to search and delete all files with “darktable” in the title, reinstalled a fresh copy of v4.4.2 and NO GO.

Others who had that error could get darktable up again by removing the Microsoft OpenCL Compatibility Pack.

For example: https://discuss.pixls.us/t/darktable-does-not-open-please-help

You can also forcibly disable GPU acceleration (OpenCL), which can cause problems with bad drivers, including the MS OpenCL mentioned above. See Darktable not opening - #8 by kofa.

Had some problems with this this week, I tried to update the version I’d compiled and couldn’t figure it out so deleted it, reinstalled a binary, then when it didn’t run deleted the whole “darktable” folder that gets left behind after an uninstall and it runs ok now

So have you actually deleted this folder? Not all the files in it have darktable in the name, but if you want a clean start you need to remove or rename this whole lot.

C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\darktable

Replace USER with your username.

It seems like that should have come up in the search for files with “darktable” in the path, but I don’t know for sure. I’ll check on it when I get a chance.

I also turned-off the graphics accelerator a little earlier today to no effect.

1 Like

Did you remove the compatibility pack??

I don’t know what that means.

Its a feature in Win11…

@kofa directed you to check it I believe…

Open the Start menu and type “Control Panel.”

Click on the “Control Panel” app.

In the Control Panel window, click on “Programs and Features.”

In the Programs and Features window, scroll down and find the “OpenGL/CL compatibility pack.”

Right-click on the “OpenGL/CL compatibility pack” and select “Uninstall.”

Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall the OpenGL/CL compatibility pack.

1 Like

My windows 11 does not have OpenGl/Cl. I don’t recall deinstalling, However, I only see that on the windows store.

I suppose you would need to see that under apps after it got installed.
image,

Thank you and all the others replying to my query.

OpenGL/CL does not appear in the Programs list and a search for “OpenGL” in “This PC” yielded nothing.

I then ran Uninstall for Darktable in that list and it completed.

Then I ran a Search for all files that contained “darktable” on the C: drive (where it installs by default).

That list included C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\darktable. When I ran Delete for all those files I got an error “0x80004005 Unspecified” for several C:\Users\etc. folders and for “darktablerc” in the C:\Users\etc. list it said “. . .no longer located. . .”. Also the download file for the 4.4.2 version.exe and the .log file the messages was “Could not find. . .”.

The Properties for all these files say they contain 0 bytes. At this point, although the Search shows those files, I can’t Delete them.

A Search for OpenCL turned up a lot of files, but the same for “OpenCL Compatibility” (I double checked for correct spelling) came up zero on the C: drive.

The Downloads File contained nothing for darktable, so I proceeded to download a fresh version from the darktable.org website. Running the install with all default settings yielded a darktable folder with the .exe file in the bin subfolder. “Run as Admin.” on that darktable.exe file brought up a User Account Control Yes/No screen and then nothing.

Dead End.

Thanks again for all your help, but I’m getting tired of doing this.

I don’t think everyone has it but it does seem to have been a problem for some people with Win11 and problems running DT…

You have had so much back and forth it might be hard to say what the issue is… if you want you can try this portable version… just unzip it in your downloads and run the batch file… That just makes DT use the local config file in downloads so nothing is installed or changed on your system… you can run it from downloads or a usb… YOu could see if this works…

\

1 Like

Oh dear. There’s something obscure going on somewhere… :thinking:

I’ve occasionally had an issue like this when trying development build along side a normal version, but uninstalling the dev version fixed it. (I never did work out what was causing it.)

Have you tried forcibly disabling OpenCL when starting darktable, as @kofa detailed in the link he posted above?

Could you please offer a portable package? I’ve attempted everything listed here without success, so I’m thinking a portable package might be the solution.

update: I’ve attempted using an older version of darktable and even tried the portable version from this link (Download darktable Portable - MajorGeeks), but unfortunately, neither option resolved the issue.

What makes you think a portable exe will solve the problem?