Wiring darktable with Krita [nsfw]

We are out of the goal of this discussion… I think, in respect of Aurlien’s aim, to start a discussion, in a new post

You should use whatever tool works for you. We all should.

It really comes down to who is going to write the darktable code. They have the decision making power.

The awesome thing about darktable being free software is that you can make the same module for gimp or what ever piece of software you want.

4 Likes

The words of the wise man

Does this solve you problem? Any suggestions?

1 Like

Merged :slight_smile:

The next Krita version will have a command line option to to open a file as a file-layer. This is at least a small step in the right direction.

Nice ! I’m looking forward to wire darktable’s filmic to an OCIO transform, so Krita and darktable can share the display transform (without applying it on the actual pixel).

I believe, after this step, the image operations will be ready to start considering the workflow inlining.

2 Likes

Live edit with full darktable + Krita workflow :

5 Likes

Always nice to see someone doing their thing and in this case I learned a few things as well.

Thanks for recording and uploading!

EDIT: Just remembered: You didn’t explain why you moved the local contrast module before filmic.

I’m assuming it has to do with disabling filmic before the export to krita, but I’m not entirely sure about that. Can you elaborate on that?

yes, exactly, it’s just because we disable filmic before going into Krita, so letting anything after filmic would change the look in an unpredictable way.

I’m having a little too much fun with Krita and darktable during confinement…

9 Likes

Laser lashes. :rofl:

I’ve never used Krita before, so I’m looking forward to playing with it, in combination with Darktable.

I’m assuming that the Krita integration with Darktable hasn’t been released yet?

I’m assuming that the Krita integration with Darktable hasn’t been released yet?

It hasn’t been implemented jet.

1 Like

It’s not even fully designed. I need to understand Krita’s pipeline better.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I’m mixing photo and krita, but in a separated way !!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

sorry for this digression !!!

8 Likes

@jllailes Well done! I guess you’d need to take the tractor to a body shop instead of an orthadonist to straighten the teeth. BTW, love the B&W!

1 Like

thank you,
I work with film and here is a scanned photo of a fomapan 100 negative. And the drawing is of course made under krita, with a graphic tablet.

I think the developers of darktable do a stellar job, because since I started to use Dt, I continued to learn quickly and abandoned without problems several other applications for the same job.

Anyway, for me it looks like, Dt is evolving even more, so I am wondering innocently why some painting feature can’t be added to Dt as well, instead to add dependencies for one single feature, indifferently how well that single feature is working…

1 Like

:heart_eyes:

Thanks Aurelien and all other DT deveolpers and contributors for your awesome work.
I came back to a lot of old edits this weekend with DT 3.2.1 and used the new linear RGB workflow. It is awesome, I was even able to recover images that I painfully discarded because I could not get where I wanted because of halos or weird effects after too much processing in the LAB workflow.
Now much of what I want can be achieved in less steps, but most importantly can be achieved.

I love the sound of using any software for dodging and burning in that linear RGB space that does the magic. If it’s Krita then Krita it is.

Actually you gave me the clue I was looking for for that.

Even if it’s not implemented in DT yet, I will start learning krita ASAP.
Any tips on where to start looking for good tutorials on it?

Thanks again!!!

1 Like