Wiring darktable with Krita [nsfw]

Being useful for sketching, drawing, and painting is actually a feature of generic editors like Photoshop or Affinity Photo. A lot of people use these software for painting with great success, and in some cases, even better than painting-dedicated softwares. There’s no evidence for the second part given it subjectivity and how the future isn’t always predictable. Some people like the OP of this thread used Krita for retouching with success. I also have retouched photos with Krita with success as well.

Of all of these, the only real argument is useful filters. Updates happens in both software, there are people that do want better selection tools, and some filters can be covered via g’mic for Krita, some of us like myself do plan to work on these (I’m working on the process of making mean filter to have guided selection tools for Krita). Opencl may or may not work, in my case, the last time I tried GIMP, it was far too slow, and I don’t desire to report the bug solely because I lost faith in GIMP for the absence of NDE and 8-bit restriction for years. Krita also support linear mode, so that’s not a real argument, and Krita has better color space support than GIMP now.

In other words, the “pure” photography part is what impact the end result mostly? That’s common knowledge for many people including myself, I just don’t know why to bring this up.

We are out of the goal of this discussion… I think, in respect of Aurlien’s aim, to start a discussion, in a new post

You should use whatever tool works for you. We all should.

It really comes down to who is going to write the darktable code. They have the decision making power.

The awesome thing about darktable being free software is that you can make the same module for gimp or what ever piece of software you want.

4 Likes

The words of the wise man

Does this solve you problem? Any suggestions?

1 Like

Merged :slight_smile:

The next Krita version will have a command line option to to open a file as a file-layer. This is at least a small step in the right direction.

Nice ! I’m looking forward to wire darktable’s filmic to an OCIO transform, so Krita and darktable can share the display transform (without applying it on the actual pixel).

I believe, after this step, the image operations will be ready to start considering the workflow inlining.

2 Likes

Live edit with full darktable + Krita workflow :

5 Likes

Always nice to see someone doing their thing and in this case I learned a few things as well.

Thanks for recording and uploading!

EDIT: Just remembered: You didn’t explain why you moved the local contrast module before filmic.

I’m assuming it has to do with disabling filmic before the export to krita, but I’m not entirely sure about that. Can you elaborate on that?

yes, exactly, it’s just because we disable filmic before going into Krita, so letting anything after filmic would change the look in an unpredictable way.

I’m having a little too much fun with Krita and darktable during confinement…

9 Likes

Laser lashes. :rofl:

I’ve never used Krita before, so I’m looking forward to playing with it, in combination with Darktable.

I’m assuming that the Krita integration with Darktable hasn’t been released yet?

I’m assuming that the Krita integration with Darktable hasn’t been released yet?

It hasn’t been implemented jet.

1 Like

It’s not even fully designed. I need to understand Krita’s pipeline better.

1 Like

Hi everyone,
I’m mixing photo and krita, but in a separated way !!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

sorry for this digression !!!

8 Likes

@jllailes Well done! I guess you’d need to take the tractor to a body shop instead of an orthadonist to straighten the teeth. BTW, love the B&W!

1 Like

thank you,
I work with film and here is a scanned photo of a fomapan 100 negative. And the drawing is of course made under krita, with a graphic tablet.

I think the developers of darktable do a stellar job, because since I started to use Dt, I continued to learn quickly and abandoned without problems several other applications for the same job.

Anyway, for me it looks like, Dt is evolving even more, so I am wondering innocently why some painting feature can’t be added to Dt as well, instead to add dependencies for one single feature, indifferently how well that single feature is working…

1 Like

:heart_eyes: