With a little luck....

I took the 1/4s and kept the right part while cropping. Thanks for posting!

P1002170.rw2.xmp (8.9 KB)

1 Like

I was in a bit of a hurry, so I just picked the one @Eduardo_Battaglia used, 2171…

White balance, I just stayed with the “as-shot” from the camera.

@Eduardo_Battaglia : This bracket series was made with both opposites in mind; I did not have the gear to do a very good spot metering on location but the -2 EV for the highlights was just about right. Shifting all -2/3 EV might have been better for both highlights and shadows (hindsight and all that). This does mean that P1002171 will a bit of a challenge being on the dark side and having a bit too much highlights.

@Thomas_Do : The fog is nicely visible in yours!

@ggbutcher : Using my as-shot white balance might not be such a good idea… I tend to use a fixed one or, when using my D750, spot white balancing via live view using a grey card. Reason being that I shoot a lot of double/triple overlapping shots (not necessarily panoramas) and I don’t want any hassle afterwards with different wb values due to my camera trying to be smart. And RAW makes changing it afterwards rather easy.

1 Like

Photoflow:

P1002171.pfi (41.9 KB)

I’m using CAT16 RGB as a working space (using a colour balance module for white balance). Using Bradford rho,gamma,beta space gives similar results but the greens come out a little bit yellower. I took white balance from one of the fuel pumps. I just used P1002171, there isn’t much noise and clipping isn’t a problem…

3 Likes

@paulmiller

This edit is the closest to the neutral colours as seen in daylight.

The reality is a tad warmer. All the whites are off-white a bit, just going towards yellow/orange. But that is something you could not know :slight_smile:

0EV. Strange image. Very interesting. Just a quick look with darktable.

P1002172.rw2.xmp (11.8 KB)

1 Like

May I?

P1002171.rw2.xmp (15,3 KB)

1 Like

A quick online search suggests that forecourt lighting is likely to be around 4000K or so. Plugging in the theoretical colour balance values for 4000K gives this:

P1002171_4000k.jpg.pfi (48.6 KB)

Which looks a bit greenish to me rather than yellow/orange.

2 Likes

That might be, but colourwise this one looks spot on. My ‘yellow/orange’ remark was about the (off-)white material colours used, seen in daylight.

Anyway: Very nice!

P1002171.rw2.xmp (13.0 KB)

1 Like

ART

4 Likes

You got rid of the fog! :scream_cat:

Thought I’d give it a try with my (limited) RT skills…

5 Likes

Fuel seems to be more expensive in Netherlands than in Germany…

@heckflosse : As far as I can remember this has always been the case.

I was born and spend my younger years in/around Enschede and I can specifically remember our neighbours (and many others as well I learned later on) hop across the border to fill up their tank, and that was in the early 70’s. Worth it, even if having to drive extra kilometres.

Nice exercise :slight_smile: Thanks for posting
HDR Merge + DT 3.2.1

a_little_luck_01.dng.xmp (12.2 KB)

4 Likes

this is DT 3.4 filmic-based processing of the EXR merged with Luminance HDR from all 5 exposures

2 Likes

t1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.7 KB)

Nice fog. Was the reddish hue on the platform really there, or is this processing effect? my RT trial. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Yes, it was.

I was standing on the end of an half-open tram platform and camera right, out of sight and parallel to the tracks is one of those 2,5m X 1,5m back-lighted advertising monstrosities. Don’t know what was advertised but the (reddish) light did partially illuminate the platform.

my idea

P1002171.rw2.xmp (12.2 KB)

1 Like