Work, life and other detours [II]

Does zoom have meeting report/logs of who was in the meeting?

I don’t know your programming experience, but it should be simple enough to write a script in an accessible language like python to loop over that list and send the certificates as an attachment in the emails. Should be less than 100 LOC if that’s all the requirements there are.

I briefly checked two months ago and it appeared that we were using one tier too low for that functionality.

Probably could get the script to include the certificate building as well. Downside is that I am slow, don’t know python that well and won’t be maintaining this workflow.

In any case, I will poke around existing accounts to see if everything is configured correctly and if they have any integrations set up. I tend to think outside of the box, but often neglect to examine what is already inside of it. :stuck_out_tongue: Sometimes options already exist.

1 Like

In your case, @afre, I would gravitate towards Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications, aka VBA. If you already have Excel, it is all right there under your fingertips. This scripting platform allows you to record an activity and have its script generated allowing you to modify and extend your application.

1 Like

I ended up finding a script for certificate generation using InDesign and a Google Sheets CSV. I prepared instructions for that and MailChimp distribution. The workflow mangled French names, but that was all the time I had to help technically unsophisticated staff. Same thing with Zoom, they preferred the much more manual (and proprietary) approach in the end. :person_shrugging:

Good news. I found my way back into municipal public service.[1] Yet another short-term contract, but still something tangible. At least, I am not being paid peanuts now. I will see how that goes…

I have been lurking for so long this year that I have been starting to get those forum digests again. As I noted, if I am busy, I tend not to log in so much, even though I still follow things.

[1] On my second day, I developed COVID-19 symptoms - my first time ever. What a way to start a new job. After being cleared, I am still having some long-COVID. Hope it goes away soon.

8 Likes

That’s great, congrats.

Not great, sorry to hear that. In my case the residual symptoms cleared up in a few weeks - take care of yourself!

1 Like

It’s always a delight playing on the SY, this time with a steel guitarist and violinist at a luncheon. 75% of the proceeds went toward the Apple Dev renewal fee.

7 Likes

I cannot read the score: are they lyrics, chord progressions or something else? What is the instrument to the middle left? The photo’s stretched perspective is throwing me off balance.

Lead sheet is out for the song “Perfidia” featuring the pedal steel guitar seen to the middle left.

2 Likes

My son plays some pedal steel. Jerry Garcia got pretty good at it (it is he playing on Teach Your Children), but he said it would take another lifetime to really learn it.

Here is one of my favorite pedal steel performances:

3 Likes

I also see a nylon string (classical) guitar headstock poking out between everything else…

2 Likes

Another directions that pedal steel can go…

2 Likes

I have been working in transportation services at the city, handling fleet, facilities and winter portfolios focusing on coordination and telematics. The commute is great: only 10-20 minutes drive! I work in the office two days a week now. How is your commute and hybrid work schedule?

Still looking for that permanent job. Had an interview yesterday. It is a more challenging IT position, so although it would greatly improve the quality of life for me, it may still be out of arms’ reach… It does appear to be something I would enjoy and I rarely get any interviews, so :crossed_fingers:.

7 Likes

Hope you’ll do well on the interview.

We go to the office 2-3 times per week. Two days are fixed with the whole team there, 1 kind of floating/optional. I commute by public transport, ~25 minutes one way. If weather is good, and I don’t have to carry a lot, I walk part of it (15 - 20 minutes) on the way home (sometimes I do the shopping on the home trip).

3 Likes

Well, it looks like life is throwing me another curve ball.

A week and a half ago, I had a 30 second collapse / seizure type thing while volunteering at a Community Garden I’ve been helping out at. Following a visit to A&E, I am now not allowed to drive for the next 6 months, and I am now awaiting a referral to cardiology for more tests, and I am currently wearing a hospital issued HRM for 2 weeks.

Annoyingly I was just starting to apply for work, following being made redundant on health grounds last May. But now I am putting job hunting on the back burner until I figure out what is going on health wise.

Fingers crossed it won’t be a years wait for a cardiology appointment.

But I’ll now be limited on where I can go for photography trips, either by public transport, or by car sharing with friends from my photography club.

5 Likes

Ouch @Brian_Innes sorry to hear that and hopefully it improves quickly!

:frowning_face:
Very sorry to hear of your health crisis.

@Brian_Innes Thanks for the update.

Sorry to hear, Brian.

And for extra fun, I’ve been started on Blood Pressure Medication… I never expected to be geriatric at only 46! :upside_down_face: I always thought high blood pressure was an old person thing!