Working with afre_cleantext filter and G'MIC plugin

Seems like we all need to take a break from this, as we are resorting to accusations and name calling, which is not good for anyone.

Everything I did was out of kindness and good faith, so I do not appreciate the slander. Let me bring closure to this thread:

1 It is not unreasonable to recommend working on improving the scanning process. Cleaner input makes cleaner output possible. Now, it is possible that the book is unavailable for another pass; however, the advice is still valid and definitely not a demand. In fact, @David_Tschumperle, the developer of G’MIC, saw the value of the filter and suggested that I move it from Testing to Repair as-is. It is not for show but it didn’t meet the OP’s expectations.

2 Nothing is fake or manipulative about my statements and person. As the others have stated, the filters and their code are available for public use, testing and scrutiny. The reason that I didn’t share the specific values was that a user would likely arrive at different values anyway after tinkering with the GUI by him or herself. If values were desired, one only needed to ask.

3 I have no obligation to be here at all or engage with anyone. The fact that the thread reached this length was because I wanted to provide the support and think through the problem with the OP. Unfortunately, the more I tried to help, the more demands were put on me. I hope the readers can see the irony of that against what was said about me.

I not only wanted to help but was my usual vulnerable self, sharing that personal struggles were preventing me from helping as much as I wanted. I also explained why certain requests could not be fulfilled. A statement that I would look into it is not contractual. Looking into something does not mean that I have an obligation to deliver, let alone right away as the OP sees fit.

In conclusion, I am glad that afre_cleantext got the attention. It means that it is compelling enough for someone to ask about and use. Unfortunately, entitlement to how a filter or its author should behave and serve was highly inappropriate and hurtful. I am disappointed, not angry, in how our conversation turned out. Sometimes, online conversations can turn out this way due to assumptions and miscommunication. I hope it was mostly that and nothing deeper.

I do hope that the OP will find merit in and give afre_cleantext and afre_contrastfft another chance. If not, then all the best to the journey of recovering scanned material. I will continue to improve the filters and this thread has helped bring them to the fore of my mind.

5 Likes