#2__Weird Keyword Tag Behavior - Is there a Fix ?

Weird Keyword Tag Behavior #2:
I had several hundred photos tagged “Silo” as in Tags/Farm & Ranch/Grain Storage/Silo(847)

As Silos are landmarks, I decided to separate them as sub-tags Silo/State Name/County Name/Road Name/Name of Owner — ; and, as I added this new Keyword Tag info to each image, I removed the generic parent tag “Silo”.

Being of an extremely meticulous nature, I was adamant about always removing the “Silo” tag once I got the new tag added.

Each time I removed a “Silo” tag, the number in parentheses (847) decreased by 1 and that thumbnail disappeared from the scene.

When I got them all done, I had Silo(1) ----- IMPOSSIBLE ----- I went one-by-one, clicking every single Silo, watching the “Silo” check-box to catch the image that was still carrying the “Silo” tag — I did this TWICE = not a single image showed up as carrying the “Silo” tag, yet the Silo(1) stubbornly remains = still there after several restarts.

Being of an obsessively accurate nature, this bugs the crap out of me, causing nightmares, loss of sleep, and nausea.

How do I make this (1) show as (0) ?

Thanks for reading.

You may have a stale entry in the database (e.g. a file moved or deleted from outside digikam).

You can remove such stale entries through the “maintenance” tool:
“Tools” menu, then “Maintenance” item, and select what you want to do. You can clean up the database just for selected tags or albums, or clean the whole database. In addition, you can compact (shrink) the database by physically removing deleted records.

Database cleaning can take a lot of time and block other activity within digikam (to prevent data races). It’s best to make a backup of the relevant databases before starting the process (make backups with digikam not running).

Well, now I am puzzled; I decided to bite the bullet and follow your instructions and clean the database.

I was expecting to click Okay, walk away, and it still not be finished tomorrow evening.

I selected “All Albums” and “Clean the Database”; I looked carefully through all the possibles and clicked Okay.

In less than a microsecond, a little blue square appeared saying the maintenance job was finished — surely not — surely I missed something.

I clicked the All Tags button, made my selections, and clicked Okay again ---- just as quick, it told me the task was finished, same as before.

I am using the Weekly Snapshot version from 24-March.

Is it normal for a cleanup to finish almost as soon as one clicks Okay ?

Am I missing something ?

Oh…, and I have always had “Remove Obsolete Core Database Objects(makes startup slower)” enabled; maybe that is why such a quick cleanup.

Oh, and since I was about to walk away to let this thing cook all night, — well actually it is morning now — I have not yet investigated to see if I fixed my problem(s) as I am running on fumes right now.

I very much appreciate you guys patience with me.

Thanks.

That’s why I said “can take a lot of time”, and not “will take a lot of time” :stuck_out_tongue:

The time needed depends on the drive used (SSM will be faster than spinning rust), the computer, the size and the state of the database, …

1 Like

If it shows that the tag still has an image associated with it, it most certainly will. The image is probably “hidden”. Either by versioning or by grouping. Activate in digiKam Setup-> Editor-> Versioning that the original image and derived image are displayed.
For grouping enable in the View Menu to show all groups as open. Now you should see your lost image.

1 Like