3.2.1 culling mode broken // zoom setting not respected during single culling session

Hi, since version 3.2.1 I have a problem with culling mode (which has been rewritten since last stable version).

One of the big selling points of culling mode is of course that you can compare similar images. If you zoom into a picture in culling mode, the same zoom is also applied to the other pictures shown. When you are in the “fixed zoom” mode of culling mode, you can scroll with the mousewheel, while you move-along in the timeline and compare images with same zoom-level/selection.

In v3.2.1, as soon as you scroll and change the selection of shown images (in “fixed zoom” mode), the zoom-level is not properly set for newly shown pictures. You then have a mixture of zoomed-in pictures and others that are not zoomed at all.

problem reproduction:

1. switch to culling mode (x)
  2. set “fixed zoom” in culling mode, perhaps with 4 pictures (slider)
  3. zoom into the picture with “ctrl+mousewheel” and choose a detail
  4. use mousewheel to move along in the timeline of pictures
  5. you’ll see the zoom leve is not properly set for newly shown pictures

This worked fine in version 3.0.2, which is why I will revert back to this version and continue using it for now. I didn’t find any bug-report for this. Please advise if I overlooked something, otherwise I would report this.

The best way is to post this on darktable Github issues: Issues · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

For lighttable issues (so culling and other lighttable modes), ping @AlicVB

Just an update: seems that your issue has just been fixed (to check): culling-preview zoom fixes by AlicVB · Pull Request #6071 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

1 Like

Wow! Actually it seems to exactly describe the problem.

I think I’ll move to Linux to be able to test/use the bleeding-edge versions…