4.0 is not working out for me

Todd, thank you, and it is.

HTML is the basic language or file format of almost all web pages. Your browser is showing you a rendered HTML file of the pixls.us forum web site that you are currently reading. Clicking the html link in the documentation will simply open the manual in the same browser that you are using to show the darktable home page.

After learning now that this can be a blocking point, it would maybe make sense to replace

English html/epub/pdf

by something such as

English: view in your browser (html)/download file for ebook readers (epub)/print or read as document with pages in a dedicated pdf reader (pdf)

on the darktable web site.

2 Likes

Hi gitlvr! I’m a bit late finding this thread, but glad you’ve got at least your main issue sorted. Not much I can add at this point.
One thing I’ve sometimes noticed on online forums is that there can often be misinterpretations of peoples attitude… I put this down to the fact that in real life when one speaks to someone there’s many other cues as to whether they are being friendly, kind, insulting or rude… etc.
For example, on this forum I might say ‘why didn’t you do that?’ and it could come across as aggressive or condescending, whereas on the street, talking to a friend, it might sound quite different.
I just mention this as I thought there might have been a bit of this kind of ‘misinterpretation’ happening on this thread. Sometimes if I feel insulted online I try to consider all the different ways that the same words could have been said (if I’m not feeling too grumpy) - and discover that they may not have been meant how I thought!
I only say all this in case it helps anyone’s feelings… but it’s not aimed at anyone in particular :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :grinning:

3 Likes

Its a good point language is now more important than ever and yet we often take less time with it. Speaking face to face would remove much of the problem in the first place but that is not the case for online discussions like those we have here and so then we have to understand that our words need to accurately reflect out question or response.

So for example in this one, likely nothing was meant, but saying “this doesn’t work for me” and having that directed at people who may have spent hours of their free time working on the software only to then donate this back to the open source community, might create a trigger…

Then also saying that you wont recommend it because you can’t figure out a feature… etc etc, you get my drift.

I think if you read the post the OP was frustrated in that moment and wrote a stream of text reflecting that state of mind with no intent top be insulting … yet we cannot use words freely without considering clear intent or we risk being misjudged.

I think this is like the email that you should not send when you are mad or emotional…let it sit and then craft a response that honours what you intend to say and not what your emotions might have push forth in that moment…

We have all done this and it is sad because I think there is a very good group of people on the forum but still we can easily end up where someone feels that comments are strong or ill intended and critical.

Its a lesson for us all.

Thankfully it usually gets sorted after a few rounds of feedback on both parts and that is a good thing.

As for this sort of thing the template used for reporting issues on Git has a lot of good information about the sorts of things that people can articulate in their posts that will help people to help one another when there is an issue… a quick review for new posters and those that don’t use Git is not a bad idea…

2 Likes

Yes, I well remember one of those. I was having a bad day, and when someone contacted me on an unrelated subject, I repIied rather shortly. I was shocked later in the day when I reread the mail at just how aggressive it sounded. Happily the person on the other end knew me already and was understanding, but I don’t want to do it again! Mostly all agreed on the other points you mention too.
I think the whole thing is definitely something to consider from time to time :slightly_smiling_face:

You don’t need to deal with HTML files. Just open the manual online; it has search functionality built in.

This is the same resource as linked above.

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/

HTML files are what you read in your web browser. You use/view them already when visiting the darktable website.

For the HTML version of the darktable manual, just click on the link, it will open in your web browser.

@paperdigits

I would like try a little feedback. I tried to find the right-click on the group symbol method I described in post #2 and couldn’t find it yet. I searched for modules and modules add.

With searching for modules add I can get here darktable 4.0 user manual - quick access panel, where at least a similar function is described for the quick access panel.

With searching for modules I will most likely get here darktable 4.0 user manual - manage module layouts and there darktable 4.0 user manual - module groups.

I personally would expect this function to be described on the module groups page, and probably a cross reference as an alternative on the manage module layouts page.

2 Likes

I think this is accurate. I did some scanning before I posted and from what I could see the layout configuration was the only place describing how to add/manipulate modules.