5 Minutes from Click to DT...

My Environment: Win 10 latest and greatest updates, 32 G’s of Ram, 1 TB M2 SSD with plenty of room to breath, i7 6800K 3.4 GHz, NVidia RTX 2060 with latest and greatest updates, DT 4.2, 555,000 photos in catalog.

From clicking DT icon to DT up and running is appropriately 5 minutes.

Any Ideas on how to speed things up by use of settings or anything else?

You might need to see in the log what’s happening in those 5mins.

Please excuse my ignorance but where do I find the log file?

Did you check “Look for updated xmp on startup” in the DT settings? Depending on the size of your library and the storage location, this could cause the described delay.

The log file is somewhere in AppData, but I am not at the PC right now to find the exact path.

1 Like

Log file is here: C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable

If there’s not much in it you can try starting dt from terminal with -d perf or a different parameter but others know more about that than me.

Till:

Perfect thank you instantaneous now!!!

Randall

1 Like

Steven, thank you for trying and I will check out the log anyway.

1 Like

Well, thanks for bringing this up… my dt often took around 20-30sec to start, and I wasn’t too bothered… but it didn’t occur to me to check that setting, which I don’t need! Quick…

1 Like

Are all those photos finished creating thumbs…you might still be doing that if you have 550K photo’s … There is a command you could run to do it over night or when you are not using DT but maybe this is also nothing to do with your issue??

Settings>Storage>XMP>Look for updated xmp on startup (Make Sure UNCHECKED)

That was it exactly and only adjustment needed. I am totally infatuated with DT again!

4 Likes