500 Megapixels?!?

Evidently, the Adox film company (anyone remembers their KB14?) from last Century is still alive and kicking. I just read about their CMS 20 II film. Quote:

The film achieves grain free enlargements of up to 2,5 meters diagonally. This equals mathematical about 500 Megapixels.

Gulp!

Ref: http://www.adox.de/Photo/adox-films-2/cms-20-ii-adotech-ii/

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

20 ASA, or 3 ASA when developed with HC-100 :dizzy:

Any normal winter day 2 hours after sunrise and up to two hours before sunset will give you something like a 125th or a 250th of a second at F 3,5. (at 20 ASA)

I think these people are extremely optimistic…

1 Like

The “500 Megapixels” claim seems to be bunk. The Porsche image is 11369*7621 pixels, 87 MP. In the out-of-focus background, the grain is noticeably larger that the pixels, approximately 4 times linearly.

But it does look good.

2 Likes

Currently, the best Zeiss optics resolve 33 “equivalent Mpix” at 35 mm sensor size on Nikon D800E. If Adox actually blasts 500 Mpix, it means their film is at very least 15 times “sharper” than any current 135 lens. So it’s probably the most resolved lens blur you will ever see, no doubt.

If you really want to do something useful for image quality, make large format affordable for masses. Or at least medium format. Or better 135 lenses. But not sharper film.

3 Likes

That’s if you trust DxO’s big summary number, which is completely useless.

Good modern lenses definitely can outresolve the highest resolution available sensors.

1 Like

I am sure that it looks better in person.

I think it’s great that we are actually discussing whether this film can resolve just 33 or more Megapixels in 135format! With the advent of digital imaging weird concepts of ‘what is enough in terms of resolution’ were spreading. The example pictures are astonishing. They show that depending on what you do, analog is still very capable of things digital can’t do (exchange sensitivity for resolution).

I also agree that by going to medium format, everything gets nicer, and you might not need ISO20 film.

And they are absolutely designed to do that, it is not an afterthought.