Back in August last year, when we adopted this dog, I never thought about the problems she would create for my photography.
We saw her, all black, and the two brothers, all white, and we simply said, “we want the female so we’ll get the black one please” (I also had the brilliant thought that it would be easier to spot on the snow; true that, but I somehow didn’t think about how difficult it is to spot a black dog at night – and nights are more frequent than snow days, and whenever I walk the dog at night I have to be super careful about letting go of the leash).
It’s a no-brand rescue dog – or a “bastard” dog as I used to call this kind of dog when I was a boy.
Anyway I wanted to let you play with two photos that I took recently with a Nikon D810 and an old 75-150 f/3.5 E-series zoom (a cheap manual focus zoom that was said to be a favourite of Galen Rowell).
This first one is an unusually (for me) heavy edit, meaning that I used probably too many modules and instances; I wanted to salvage it somehow and the final result is still “meh” – a bit too “digital”, too crispy probably – I’m curious to see what other people would do with this.
As a reference, this is what the photo looks like when you first open it:
raw + xmp (darktable 3.8.1):
This is the second shot, an “action” shot (a bit tricky to do these with a manual focus lens):
Raw + xmp:
All the files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.