A cat under the streetlights

The cat decided to have a photo shoot in very harsh conditions - it was late evening and the only light was from very dim strong orangy-yellow streetlights, which is common in our city. Automatic WB from my camera is actually pretty close to the actual look, so this playraw is more like an exercise in reconstructing ‘normal’ colors.
Also, the cat was moving back and forth, so I had to use at least 1/60, which resulted in 12800 ISO and a lot of noise.

Here is the non-edited look:

DSC_3047.NEF (31.9 MB)
DSC_3047.NEF.arp (16.7 KB)

For my edit I used ART exclusively.
I would love to see how you would approach this photo. Thanks to everyone!

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Reminds me of Photo post / audio analogy - de-yellow night shot - #6 by a286

My attempt with dt 3.6. This is only the second edit I have done with 3.6.

DSC_3047.NEF.xmp (8.9 KB)

1 Like

Same cat as before?

cat.under.streetlights.pp3 (14.7 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development (+ D750 dcamprof icc by @ggbutcher )

Always interesting to see what people do with images that have a lot of coloured light on/in them. Leave it as is, try to neutralize as much as possible, try so simulate the human eye, be artistic, …

Thanks for sharing, I like these high ISO and off colour exercises. Hard, but fun to do!

3 Likes

@kofa , @afre , yes, it’s the same Japanese Bobtail cat of my neighbor, she (the cat) is extremely friendly and always spends some time with me when we meet on the street.

@Jade_NL , exactly!

2 Likes

DSC_3047.NEF.xmp (11.9 KB)

2 Likes

Exactly. In my edit, I took the view that the image was made on a dark street under orangish-yellow street lighting. So, that’s how I allowed my edit to remain.

1 Like

With darktable 3.5.0~git2787.b98ac6892d-1:

DSC_3047.NEF.xmp (12,2 KB)

2 Likes

DSC_3047.NEF.xmp (14.4 KB)

2 Likes

I tried to get somewhat natural colours and also tried to render the street lamp to make it not too dominant as it is very bright but not the subject.

DSC_3047.NEF.xmp (15.9 KB)

1 Like

ART exposure compensation 1EV, tone curve, color cast compensation with color/tone correction, then adjustment of white balance

2 Likes