A dedicated PeerTube instance for Pixls.us?

Hello there,

Over the years, I’ve noticed more and more interesting content in video format dedicated to free, libre and open-source software, and especially creativity-related software (think GIMP, darktable, Krita, Blender, Ardour, Godot, etc.).

Screencasts are indeed a really good way to teach things that, often, would be very hard to convey via written documentation.

However, unfortunately, most of these videos often end up on YouTube. I think it’s a shame to use a proprietary, centralized platform to promote the use of FLOSS, especially when we now have a good and decentralized alternative: PeerTube.

Now, there are a lot of PeerTube instances, but none of them are precisely aimed at people making screencasts and video tutorials for creative open-source software.

Would it make sense to have an hosted instance of PeerTube for the Pixls.us community, or maybe for the even broader creative community (to include, for instance, audio-related content?)

I think YouTube is highly effective in making content visible. A newcomer will never know to go to PeerTube, but they know YouTube.

2 Likes

We try had not to just host all.the things, as maintenance and upkeep takes time. We basically have two people doing that at the moment, @darix and @andabata

I don’t think we should stretch them any thinner.

It’s true, but this is because Google is deeply invested in the attention economy. By using YouTube, creators become complicit to that, in a way.

Creators can actually still use YouTube if they want to (for better visibility), but PeerTube has features to duplicate YouTube videos, which means you can easily setup a workflow where you upload the video once (to YouTube) and it get replicated to the PeerTube instance. This is what Nick from the Linux Experiment is doing, I think.

Totally understandable. Maybe it would be interesting to discuss with existing instances then?

Sure. I’d think if people were interested they’d just find am instance and go for it.