A fairly high contrast scene

2nd image i shared on Play Raw. I’d like to see how others treat a fairly high contrast image lit with various (uncontrollable) light colours.

Edited in dt 3.7-504

AT001219.DNG (15.5 MB)
AT001219_01.DNG.xmp (18.2 KB)

*sorry for the noise if it is too much, In my case, I don’t really mind a noisy image as long as it fits/is unavoidable.
And if anyone wants to use lens correction, because not every software has it, you can use the Ricoh GR’s one (not the GR Digital or GR III), it has the same lens and sensor size with GR II.

Have fun!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

4 Likes

Photoflow:

AT001219.jpg.pfi (65.9 KB)

This is an experimental preset I’m working on for something else (including a fake Halation effect - look for the red glow around the sheet music). Seems to work well for this.
Noise is not a problem at all…

3 Likes

AT001219.DNG.xmp (14.1 KB)

2 Likes

This video today was timely…

2 Likes

nice results! the halation is looking good too, tbh I’m quite struggling with the sheet music part, it seems like I cant reconstruct that faint content there, something that I found quite easier in other software.

And I’m still trying to find ways to create a halation fx in darktable, I could create it in an external image editor or node compositor software but I’m trying to do it in dt.

Another thing that I’m still struggling within dt is how to deal with nasty magenta on the left and top truss bar easily, without resorting to mask.

haven’t use photoflow before, gotta look at it now, but it seems that it is a layer-based image editor, right?

I see that the magenta on the truss bar is quite tamed here, but it seems that the saturation is pushed down, right?

But still, it’s great, I’m always lean toward the dark side and playing with the colour combinations when editing images, so this type of “lighter feel” is quite refreshing to me, thanks!

Photoflow is a bit unusual - it looks like it is layer based, but you can also have group layers which give you side-chains of layers which are merged in to the main design in one step. Also, you can take the input of a layer from any earlier point in the processing graph. Its kind of a hybrid between layer and node based.
The user interface is a bit rough in parts (especially around mask editing if you have a crop, rotate or perpective correction active), and some operations are likely to crash it. However, it fits the way my brain works and I like using it (I started out in electrical engineering and I think about image processing in terms of circuit diagrams…).
Unfortunately, development has stalled (the last update on github was in Ausust 2020). I hope that @Carmelo_DrRaw picks it up again one day, it would be a shame to lose it.

vkdt looks like it could become something very interesting - however right now its in very early stages. More of a research framework than something you would want to use to edit images.

I’m using a blur, and a colour correction (basically a red filter) which is then added to the image. I’m not sure how I would approach this in darktable, as the way I’m doing it requires a side chain rather than a simple pipeline processing model. You can get a wide range of effects - from halation to an orton effect to smoothing out highlight transitions - by adjusting the blur radius and the colour correction step as well as the amount of effect that is added to the images.

I tried a second version of my edit to see if I can improve…

Keeping detail on the sheet music is tricky - its very bright and global ‘filmic’ style curves squash detail in bright areas because of the highlight rolloff. I tried adding a masked highlights adjustment which brings some detail out. I masked the highlight adjustment becuase applying it globally makes the lights look ugly (you get a ring around them).

My halation effect makes the magenta worse by adding a red glow around it. I’ve tried masking the red filter from the halation effect around the truss bars, which tones the magenta down (it replaces a red glow with a white one). I’m not convinced the result is better though.

AT001219_v2.jpg.pfi (75.4 KB)

Thats probably quite enough wall-of-text for now.

3 Likes

ART

I was not able to read the viola score :face_with_head_bandage: tried hard on it, but some artifacts remain. Very difficult to restore details.

2 Likes

@gaaned92 this is already great, i would say, and the scene still natural to look at (not HDR-ish), of course I didn’t mean to restore all of the sheet/score content, as it would be impossible because the information is not there in the first place, especially on the right page, because the page is wrapped in a plastic so it’s more reflective than paper. I just tried to make the content fairly visible, with gentle transition between clipped area and the score, pulling up information is one thing, make it still natural is another.

I see on your version, the magenta is pulled down quite far, it affecting the light on the upper right and the content of the right LED screen, if you concern about my reply in previous comment, i never meant to eliminate it, i just want to make the transition gentler, because the saturation on the truss bar is quite hard. In fact, when I’m trying to edit it in ART (I’m using your nightly build btw, thanks!), the overall saturation is already gentler.

I feel like the base profile in ART (with look table disabled) is closer to what i see in C1, on the other hand, dt input profile/matrix feels like LR (much saturated colour). that’s is why I’m still trying to tamed it more.

Do you mind sharing your ART adjustment? or is it embedded in JPEG?

@adrs I had a hard time with this photo!
ARP is in JPG

• I used an adobe DCP I thought better than the standard matrix
  • then tamed the saturation with channel mixer
  • tone curve and tone equalizer
  • local contrast
  • texture boost on scores
  • color/tone correction of blue cast on some parts with mask
  • suppression of ugly artifact on the right page of viola music sheet with color/tone correction

that can explain the artifacts on the pages

1 Like

maybe I’m just too used to C1 starter colour, that’s one of the reasons I’ve never use LR (my raw editor journey is Canon DPP - Aperture - C1, and now I’m trying dt & ART)

Exactly! there’s always a lot of little something on a music stage that annoy a photographer/editor, especially when taking pictures from the stage :rofl:

thanks! i will take a look at it.

AT001219.DNG.xmp (13.4 KB)
Uploading: AT001219.jpg…

Uploading: AT001219_01.jpg…

1 Like

high.contrast.scene.dng.xmp (11.6 KB) darktable 3.7

Nice challenge, thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

AT001219.DNG.xmp (29,9 Ko)

Thanks for sharing nice challenge
darktable 3.6

AT001219_01.DNG.xmp (5.6 KB)