A few newbie RawTherapee color questions...

I am making a calendar with Bay Photo and I am exporting files as 100% quality jpgs in AdobeRGB1998 color space. My output profile (under the color tab) is thus AdobeRGB1998, while my working profile is ProPhoto RGB. I am using a rendering intent of Relative Colorimetric with Black point compensation.

HOWEVER, I notice that there is a toolbar at the bottom of the screen as well, with options for selecting a color space and rendering intent. I have been selecting AdobeRGB1998 here as well, and I notice the image looks less saturated after selecting this. Does this change my working profile to AdobeRGB1998? Not what I would want, I guess–or is it? What does this option do and how does it interact with the output profile and working profile under the color tab?

Also, I updated my graphics card driver yesterday and noticed something. Now, when I am finished with the image in RT (i.e., it looks good to me) and I export it, when I view it in that Windows photo viewer–or whatever it is, it looks oversaturated, whereas before the update it matched the image in RT pretty closely. However, it looks good when I pop it into the calendar on the BayPhoto ROES. So: Good in RT and Bay Photo ROES, but bad in the Windows app.

Probably there are a zillion issues here and I have not profiled my new BenQ wide gamut 27" monitor…yet or bothered with the BayPhoto ICC profile (please don’t stone me! :stuck_out_tongue: ) as this calendar needs to be done soon, and I have my hands full trying to get up to speed on RT after years of LR…

Any thoughts appreciated! Thanks!

I’m not positive that windows photos viewer is color managed.

That’s what I thought. It’s probably not. I was just curious because of the video card driver update yesterday, whether that has anything to do with this (before there was a pretty good match)…

The toolbar at the bottom of your screen is for your display profile which you will only obtain after calibrating your screen. You haven’t done so, so leave this at “None” for now. The BayPhoto ICC profile is a soft proofing profile (probably), which can be used to check how your photo’s would look like when they are printed on their printers. In all cases, without a properly calibrated monitor, you’re going to have a difficult time making accurate predictions on how your calendar is going to look like.

Thanks for the info! Happy holidays!