A Foggy Morning in Röstånga

The weather report said no fog in the morning, so when I woke up and looked out of the window, there was fog.

This is the time of year when you will find bales of hay out in the fields of Sweden, but they don’t stay there long, so one must rush to find a good spot and wait for the right light and weather conditions. I grabbed my camera and new tripod (more on that in another post) and rushed out. When I got to the field with the dog and camera, and tried to turn off the dog and turn on the camera, I found out I had 2% battery left, so I didn’t expect to finish off a single bracketed set. The dog was fully charged though. Sweden has this thing called “allemansrätten”, “the freedom to roam, or everyman’s right is the general public’s right to access certain public or privately owned land for recreation and exercise.” So I accessed a farmer’s land to shoot these (I spent some years in South Africa, there you’d get shot), and of course he returned home just as I was there, and the dog barked at him, so no stress, but he was cool with it - Sweden.

Each photo is a 5-shot bracket 2EV apart, but I ended up deleting the brightest one or two of each set. All handheld except for one (the one with the bales of hay). Merged in HDRMerge, developed in RawTherapee. Developed true to the way it felt to be there, in the early morning hours, in the sun-lit mist.

17 Likes

How is the sky so dark in the 2nd picture?

probably some low level bored corn demon passing by {whisteling}

I quite like the density of golden brownish hues in the 4th… eery mood =)

Those are beautiful!

Holy mackerel those tones and mood in the last image all of them are just wonderful! Like - I want to buy a print wonderful. Especially printed huge.

Very cool pictures. Even more impressed knowing there was a dog around.

Speaking of dogs, has any dog owner here tried to train him to drive subjects to the camera?

Those are awesome. Love the post processing! Simply amazing work!

Thank you everyone! It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to read that :blush:

@paperdigits that photo was taken from almost above the fog, while the other three are taken entirely within the fog, so in that one you could see sky while in the others not really. The sky seemed dark compared to the very bright morning light on the fog, so that along with processing made it as it is.

@patdavid ah! I think I will have to start a thread about that.

@Ofnuts barking at the subjects, keeping them in line - great idea!

1 Like

Very beautiful, plus you handle the fog wonderfully!!!