A full Android FOSS raw imageing pipeline (tutorial)

just wondering why nobody mentioned open camera yet?

1 Like

Hi @darix. Actually, it’s the very first link in the OP! :wink:

@paperdigits Hmmm. I haven’t specifically noticed that, but I haven’t checked the EXIF tags or tried to sort manually on that specific tag All the raw DNG’s I’ve taken with Open Camera seem to be in the proper place in my Google Photos and Flickr timelines. Of course, they could simply be using the file creation timestamp, and not the EXIF tag. I can check when I am at home…

EDIT: I just checked. Here’s the EXIF content from a recent shot. It all looks correct to me?

LGE Nexus 5X
ƒ/2.0
4.7 mm
1/5000
Flash (off, did not fire)
Hide EXIF
Date and Time (Modified) - 2017:04:08 20:55:00
Image Width - 2446
Image Height - 1967
Software - Google
Make - LGE
GPS Date Stamp - 2017:04:09
GPS Altitude Ref - Below Sea Level
GPS Longitude Ref - West
GPS Longitude - 117 deg 16' 51.46"
GPS Img Direction - 260.1
GPS Processing Method - GPS
GPS Latitude Ref - North
GPS Time Stamp - 01:55:36
GPS Img Direction Ref - Magnetic North
GPS Altitude - 17 m
GPS Latitude - 32 deg 49' 52.09"
Date and Time (Digitized) - 2017:04:08 18:55:35
White Balance - Auto
Light Source - Unknown
ISO Speed - 60
Date and Time (Original) - 2017:04:08 18:55:35
JFIFVersion - 1.01
X-Resolution - 1 dpi
Y-Resolution - 1 dpi

@Tobias I’m really glad to see that the Termux devel team is so responsive to this, and interested in adding packages and libraries. They work fast! I am not familiar with GEGL, however, so would have to do some research before knowing how to implement it. Haven’t had time to test GMIC properly yet either, but hope to do that soon.

Thanks! I’ll have to take a closer look at my files! Looks like the tag is there in yours.

I believe it is from having DR0 or HDR mode turned on.

Ah! Interesting, and I guess it makes sense, especially if it is HDR mode since that would be three exposures fused. As far as I understand DRO, it’s only one exposure, but with a histogram stretch applied?

From what I recall, as I can’t find the link now, of processes one file three times then fuses it together.

Ah yes. One manipulated for highlights, one for shadows, and one for midtones. And then stacked. Similar to auto histogram equalization with quartiles, I would imagine.

This “news” is already a little bit older, but perhaps it_'S interesting for someone. @Jehan wrote his first GEGL-powered Android “App”:

https://girinstud.io/news/2017/07/crossroad-0-7-released-and-future/

Just reading through this thread, and started wondering… would there be any interest for a photoflow-cli command for termux? I can rather easily generate a CLI version that does not depend on GTK (but would still depend on GLIB and VIPS).

Hi @Tobias and all!

I got notified of this thread by pixls.us. :slight_smile:
Anyway yes I made a GEGL-powered Android app, and it worked. In the simulator as well as in an actual phone (the precision is important since I discovered that working in the simulator does not always mean working in the phone!).
I still need to make a release of Crossroad (my cross-compiling app) with the Android support (current stable only has Windows; Android is in dev branch) then do a post for everyone to see how to build GEGL for all Android platforms. This will make it quite easy to do any GEGL-powered app for Android.
Or you are also welcome to contribute on my application which is more of a fun demo right now. :slight_smile: Maybe I should put it on some app store or something (I think it still has a few bugs to deal with first, but I haven’t touched any of these recently).

This is very interesting! Glad to see some progress on GEGL. I must admit that I have not spent much time in Termux recently, but I would be happy to get back into it for testing and trying out new ideas.