A new library(tool) for fast raw file rendering

Previously, I created a free software that can pull and pick raw files.

Posted here:
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/ive-created-a-new-software-to-cull-and-pick-raw-photos/

The software works well, but still a lot of optimizations can be made. An important part is the speed of raw file conversion.

This time, I bring a new library written in Rust that can convert raw to image faster.

It also contains a compiled cli binary in the release page. You can download and try from here.

It’s still in very early stage and uses integer data in process to boost the speed(which means it may not get a very precise result like other softwares that uses float64 data). So you should not use this tool for raw files with very high accuracy requirements.

Are you aware of GitHub - dnglab/dnglab: Camera RAW to DNG file format converter also written in Rust? Would be nice to have one well-maintained raw reading Rust library…

how does it compare in speed to the rawspeed library? i’m very interested in fast raw decoding, since that seems to be my number 1 bottleneck these days (since ssd are so fast nowadays that disk io becomes less of an issue).

Yeah, I know the project and I uses some decoding methods from their another project called rawler.

Haven’t tested yet.

Compared to libraw without rawspeed, in my rough experiment, quickraw is about 3x-4x faster.

the reference would probably be to use rawspeed’s integration tests directly, preferably with -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release, not wrapped in another layer of *.