a new website

A new year is coming on us quickly, so how about a nice new website to go with it? Baby New Year from 110 years ago ... houz and I have been working hard over the past few months to migrate the old website from Wordpress to a new static site, using Python/Pelican. This should make things more secure and safer for both you and us (see the problems that rawsamples.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.darktable.org/2017/12/a-new-website/
18 Likes

Thank you @patdavid! And if this shows up on the website then comments are working, too. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Nice to have a new website. Two minor glitches, I wasnā€™t informed about the new website by my rss feed ā€“ probably because it is already dead. For a smooth transition it would have been cool to get a post mentioning that the links will change. And second glitch, the new rss feed links result in an 404. Probably easy to fix. :slight_smile:
Thanks for all your great work, both for the website and dt itself!

1 Like

Excellent. image

I know, there are some minor things that need to be fixed. But first: dt release and Christmas. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This prioritisation seems fair enough. :slight_smile: thx again for all your work!

Looking great! Kudos to both :+1::+1:

1 Like

Looking good, a big thanks :grinning:

On the resources page, what about a link to Harry Durgins tutorials?
His parametric mask tutorial should be compulsive viewing :grin:

2 Likes

The RSS feeds have been updated to point to the correct place. There are three feeds available:

I donā€™t recall what the old RSS feed URL was. Iā€™ll see if @houz wants to point a redirect on the server side to the new feed location.

Good work from all the people involved! It is nice to see darktable in new nicer ā€˜clothesā€™ :slight_smile:

1 Like

For now I just linked the files to the old locations on the file system level. We can either leave it like that (not my favorite choice), add redirections in nginx (Iā€™d have to ask PolarFox to do that for us) or we can add a stub RSS file to the old locations with a single post each, telling people about the new feed URLs.

Iā€™d think the semantically correct thing to do would be a 301 permanent redirect on the server config for those old urls. We can add it to the config or .htaccess.

Iā€™ll contact @PolarFox next year to add that then.

1 Like

Beautiful new site! Iā€™m not sure, though, whether the dummy/placeholder copy on the front page wonā€™t alienate first-time visitors. Are you planning to replace it with proper copy soon?

Thanks so much for all your great work, and happy new year!!

Which text do you think is placeholder text?

1 Like

I had the same thought as @Matt_Eastwood. Hereā€™s an example on the home page:

powerful

Something about capability - highlight about some big important features! Maybe mention flexibility here (ease of writing new modules).

community

Something about community, mailing list, maybe discuss forum, and the Flickr page? Number of contributors (indicate health of the project and users). Some other metric of vitality of the community (possibly how to get involved)?

The new site has good ā€œbonesā€ā€¦itā€™s visually attractive. Congratulations!

1 Like

Ah, got it! Thanks

@patdavid: No one likes our silly jokes. :cry:

5 Likes

Itā€™s really nice and modern the new web! Congratulations!

1 Like

Hey! Donā€™t you try to pin this on me! I am fairly certain one of my launch notes was to fix the front page copy. Pretty sure it was you darktable weanies that pushed that joke. (for the record, I liked the joke. :wink: ).

1 Like