A Q&A with Photographer Riley Brandt

Shane Milton has a Q&A with Riley on his You Tube channel, he also has some darktable tutorials :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3Q9JW_rFXQ

3 Likes

I saw this when @RileyB initially posted it over on google+. It’s fun to watch and listen to, even if I feel that Shane’s interviewing style could use a little work (it feels a bit stilted and stiff). Riley is fun to watch because he’s animated and interesting.

Hello!

Reading again this article, I must add that THERE IS a course for mastering Inkscape, but in spanish: “Logo a Logo”, by Joaclint:

https://joaclintistgud.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/inkscape-logo-a-logo-2ª-edicion/

It’s a little old now, but very well done and with example files to work with.

For Logo creation, this heree is alos a good adress.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEQXp_fcqwPcqrzNtWJ1w9w/videos

There is not much about why he is doing it the way hes doing it, but to learn some good technics its quite good.
This channel is for beginners good to.

1 Like

I’ll have to check out the photo management elements in darktable. Can it be used as a lightweight DAM?

I dislike the renaming files part of the workflow. I strongly believe that metadata should take priority, filenames are irrelevant.

My other pet peeve, of course, is that MWG Guidelines seem to be ignored. Again.

Metadata Working Group Guidelines

In what way are they being ignored? Not sure which thing you’re referring to specifically.

IPTC is specifically mentioned in the workflow, but no mention of following MWG Guidelines to map the differing metadata standards. No offence, as I said it’s just a pet peeve of mine.

1 Like

MWG vs JEITA/CIPA. Some parts don’t match, e.g. the comment and description field intentions, causing much trouble, which I’ve reported extensively about in a ping-pong between Exiv2 and digiKam.

1 Like

My conclusion is that MWG is what everybody has agreed to do in public. At home, they each still do their own thing.

Is there a link to that discussion? I’d be interested in reading it as I have some minor involvement in both of those projects.

http://dev.exiv2.org/issues/985

Ah yes, issue 985. I remember that now. My conclusion remains. Adobe is part of the MWG. Through those guidelines, Adobe and the other members agreed that:

Description defines the textual description of a resource's content. 
Also known as "user comment”, "caption”, "abstract” or "description”. 
Exif ImageDescription, IPTC Caption, and XMP (dc:description) are mapped together.

This makes sense, as the words “description” and “title” are not synonyms. MWG Guidelines are silent on the “title” tag.

I love this guy! He has been quite helpful to me while brushing up on Inkscape.

2 Likes

[quote=“asp, post:8, topic:264, full:true”]
I’ll have to check out the photo management elements in darktable. Can it be used as a lightweight DAM?[/quote]

I would say so, though I don’t know much about DAM. You can create collections based on multiple criterion, and tag images. So far I’ve been using tags like ‘person:david’.

I tend to agree.

Let us know if you still feel the same way when you’ve got hundreds if not thousands of duplicate file names among 100,000+ source files, and you have already iterated through more than one way of going about your DAM as the years have rolled by.

Do you know about hierarchical tags? If you are using “person|david” instead of your tag then the tag “david” will be a leaf in a hierarchical tree ”root-person-david”. That way you will be able to filter for all persons or for “david” alone or for the whole path “root-person-david”. The vertical bar “|” is used as separator between branch levels.

2 Likes

I probably deserved that. I suppose even if duplicate filenames aren’t an issue in storage due to folder structure they could become one when exporting and managing files generally. Anyway, I haven’t even bought and watched the course yet, so I think I’ll give it a go.

I didn’t! Thanks very much for explaining; I’ll be sure to try that out and switch.

I didn’t mean to be aggressive. Sorry if I came across that way.

If you have unique file names, no matter what database system you’re using to manage your DAM, you’re guaranteed to be able to locate a file if you ever happen to need to search by file name. And chances are one day, probably for a reason you don’t anticipate today, you’ll need to do that.

And I say that as an advocate for using metadata, including keywords and good descriptions and titles, to categorize the files in the DAM. It’s not either/or, it’s both/and.

1 Like