A review of the Industar 50-2

I have started making long-form, talking-head, vlog-type reviews of my vintage lenses.

Please excuse my sometimes clunky use of the English launguage, it’s not my mother tongue and I rarely get to speak it anymore, but I think it’s sufficiently understandable.

I hope you will enjoy this video and if you do (also if you don’t) I’d love to hear what you thought of it.

Shot with the Huawei P30
Edited with Davinci Resolve
Photos edited with RawTherapee and post-processed with GIMP

10 Likes

A no nonsense, sometimes funny and definitely honest video. I like that approach, keep doing it that way! Also hope you keep doing these in English.

Very nice; content wise and the way you packaged it all.

1 Like

I loved the video, great work! With natural scenery and beautiful soft music you bring the peace to youtube. I appreciate this! Highly informative, and your English is just fine. Including the timestamp in the description and ending on sample images, you really cover all bases.

In future it might be nice to understand what processing was involved in the sample images, to determine how much impact that has had. Were they just camera jpeg? Any sharpening or colour adjustments, etc…? Of course camera manufacturer may impact this as well.

But still, it is entirely possible to get a feel for character of the lens the way it is currently presented, so that is nitpicking. Excellent video, and if I subscribed to anything on youtube I would subscribe to this. Maybe one day.

Edit: Do any old lenses ever get introduced to lensfun?

1 Like

Thank you.

I will keep doing these in English, if for nothing else, but for the larger audience and to practice my speaking.

Thank you. That was my intention so I’m very happy it translated well into practice.

I understand and it is something I have considered.

All images were processed and not lightly. I think the interest should be, and it definitely is mine, on the finished product.

These old lenses often have numerous flaws and I don’t think anyone gets them to just shoot jpegs straight out of camera and be done with it. Personally, I find the processing to be almost half the fun, and almost mandatory for a lot of these old lenses.

I think so, yes.

I agree absolutely, only it would make for a more accurate comparison between lenses. For instance, if the lndustar 50-2 produces highly saturated colours, but for the best presentation of the scene you desaturate, then we don’t get a proper indication of what colours the lens can produce. Of course camera processing can introduce things, so even the jpeg is not a truly neutral comparison, but is moreso than creative editing, and if you shoot raw+jpg would be easy to include. For a slightly more neutral comparison you might be able to do a neutral profile plus exposure and tone curve in rawtherapee (or exposure and filmic in darktable). Then you can show the ‘neutral’ version along with your ‘processed’ version.

Just my 2c. Take it as you wish.

This is also information I would find helpful in a video, whether this particular lens is there or not. Of course, I can look myself, so its not a big issue, but just another item others may be interested in.

1 Like

Bookmarked for later viewing. :slight_smile::+1:

1 Like

Video is really nice @zerosapte. Enjoyed it.
However, I was very distracted by your handling of the lens. It is a sophisticated piece of equipment and I personally found its casual rough handling throughout the video very distracting. (It was like watching one’s old motorcycle handled by a repair mechanic! They are just so rough in a non-threatening way while handling it!!)

1 Like

This lens is anything but sophisticated. It’s simple and built like a tank, out of metal and glass only. It feels solid and I assure you it was never in any sort of danger.

I really enjoyed this video thank you. I just might pick one of these up to give it a try. I think it will look quite sexy on my lumix g9 m43 camera assuming I can find a adapter. Would love to see more of these in English. Always wanted to try vintage lenses but there are so many it is hard to pick.

I agree! :blush:

The M42 is the most common, easiest and cheapest mount to adapt to mirrorless, you will have no problems finding and adapter.

I’m happy you liked the video.

Yep thanks again found everything pretty easily now it is a waiting game on shipping the lens is coming to the US from Russia lol. I was just too lazy to look elsewhere then Amazon because the price was good.

This dude also speaks about the Industar 50-2 and he explains why wou should get reeeeeal comfortable while waiting for the lens to arrive, because it will probably take months.

Yea estimated wait time is about a month but again not a big deal. I needed the mount adapter anyway for my microscope objective for 10x macro work so the wait is no big deal.

@zerosapte watched yesterday your video, I “liked” it and thought about giving you my comments here (but if for any reasons to “growing” the channel etc you need something in the yt comments let me know and I’ll post something there as well).

I liked it! Your english is great and I like the lightness and the humour throughout (all the more enjoyable because of the way you look, with long beard, tatoos etc). It is really as others have pointed out, there’s nothing else like that on youtube, it’s a very personal way to appear and talk in front of the camera, and talking about a lens that I have zero interest in!

Now, “if I were you” I would try and make the video a bit shorter, maybe cut off some pauses, → edit a bit more tightly in other words (More than 30’ is really too much for me). Also, you could have put some of the shots throughout the video and not leave them all in the end.

Anyway, good job and thanks for taking the time to do the video, looking forward to your next one!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words and for your advice.

My Industar 50-2 just arrived today from the Ukraine. I think I got pretty lucky this lens is what I would call near mint condition and super smooth. Even has the Russian naming on it. Can’t wait to try it out. Only cost $20 + shipping so $34 usd.

3 Likes

That was pretty fast.

Enjoy it and maybe post some pictures.

1 Like