Add noise or grain simulation in darktable

Hi all,

I’m wondering how can I add noise or simulate grain in darktable? Some of the shots would be great with a super 8 look and on some I just want them to be gritty.

Thanks!

There’s a grain module that’s probably staring right in your face, but I prefer the Add Grain function in G’MIC.

Thanks, I deserved this right in your face response as it was indeed and I was such a dumb. Thanks again that despite this you answered.

I have used this grain feature with success on an image where I wasn’t going to beat the noise so I thought I would join it. Read the manual and experiment with the options to get the best effect. BTW, everything stares you in the face once someone points it out in the first place. I had even forgotten about this little used module despite having used it.

Thanks for your response!
I’m still at the very beginning and don’t have much time anyway to spend time with the software due to the busy days I have and taking photos is a rare occasion and also editing. I come from the film era and switched to digital not so long ago, so I have to get use to it and Darktable is a complex thing but this was the one which caught my attention due to the amount of possibilities it can offer and their flexibility and the quality it can bring. I happy to support an open source software and even if I’m only just rather amazed than being a pro but still very happy with the results. I’ve just downloaded a lut 3d with film simulations and it’s nice to see those look again though I love the colours of my camera produces (D700) it’s fun to play around with some photos.

3 Likes

One of the all time great DSLR’s right there, I’m hoping mine will last forever.

I’ve been meaning to get a battery grip while they’re still easy enough to find so I can run it on AA’s after my batteries for it give up.

Great idea!