Adding Custom Working Profiles

I am searching now…I can tell you definitely that for Output ,I got the Holmes.icc to show up in Raw Therapee Output Combo Box by putting the Holmes.icc in MacintoshHD /Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays
i will search for the correct Output Directory on MacOs, starting in System and working out from there

I have some positive news.
Some of the profiles/output are stored as follows:
Macintosh HD/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays/
My Holmes.icc is there…but all the Rawtherapee RTV2 and RTV4’s are definitely not to be seen…
will keep rooting for profiles/input
profiles/input
more good news… my camera profiles (DCP) are stored in Macintosh/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Nikon
Displays are next door in Macintosh/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays

I will need some help for that as I don’t have an alternative directory suggestion for my output profiles except Macintosh HD/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays/
(Rawpedia page 325)

very interesting…there definitely never was an input or output folder in Displays that Raw Therapee could use.

“Try exactly what I wrote following @XavAL suggestion to add additional working space profiles. It should work.”
will do exactly as you and Xavier wrote… tomorrow …( its 2 in the morning here)…goodnight and thank you for being so helpful again

Matt

1 Like

@Keentolearn When I suggested to use the quotes feature, I didn’t mean that you have to make multiple posts :slight_smile: As a matter of fact, you can use it multiple times in the same post while composing. Just select a text and press the appearing “Quote” button.

All right @Keentolearn, I’m going to try and disect what has been happening so far.

First of all, I agree with @gaaned92’s remarks here and think RawPedia contains an error regarding the important directories, which might be part of the problem here (@XavAL please look at point 4 below). I would like somebody with a mac to confirm!

For the record, I am still very much unconvinced that you actually want the Holmes profile as your working profile, similar to what @gaaned92 said in the third point in his post yesterday and the discussion we had last May in this thread. But all things considered, RawTherapee should work as documented. My goal is to make it work for you.

Now, I’m also not a macOS user, so I cannot fully test things for you, but let’s try to go through the motions, since the process documented here (as already referenced before) seems fairly straightforward. I may be saying obvious stuff here, but at least we can be on exactly the same page that way :slight_smile:

1. Things that are completely irrelevant for the working profile problem we are trying to solve: input profiles, output profiles, display profiles. Any mention of them confuses the issue.
  2. There is a set of hard-coded working profiles in RawTherapee that you cannot edit. These profiles have no corresponding icc file anywhere on your file system, as they are part of the source code and are compiled directly into the RawTherapee executable.
  3. You can add your own working profiles if needed by creating a workingspaces.json file that either refers to an external icc file, or directly declares the profile matrix.
  4. RawTherapee looks for the workingspaces.json file in two places. The rtICCDir and userICCDir (these are the internal variable names as you can see here).
    • The rtICCDir is always relative to the base directory of RawTherapee + /iccprofiles/ (see here). For macOS I believe it should be /Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/Resources/share/iccprofiles/, but I’m not 100% sure.
    • The userICCDir can be anything set in the RawTherapee Preferences:
      * There is one caveat here: RawTherapee will also look in this folder for additional output and display profiles. Changing this, might not be the best idea.
  5. Concluding from this, if there is a file called workingspaces.json in either directory, and it contains a valid JSON entry, RawTherapee will parse it and your custom working profile will turn up in the designated list:

Since you have a custom ICC file that you want to use as your working profile. The contents of your workingspaces.json file should be something like this (as others have also mentioned before):

{"working_spaces": [
    {
        "name" : "My Custom Profile",
        "file" : "/path/to/your/profile.icc"
    }
]}

The name can be whatever you like, the file should point to the location of your desired Holmes’ ICC profile. Importantly, the ICC file you refer to can be anywhere on your system as long as the path in the JSON entry is correct.

Questions

1. Does the folder /Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/Resources/share/iccprofiles/ exist on your system? I believe you should at least find an output and input folder here.
    This is what the corresponding folder on my Windows computer looks like:
  2. Please post the content of your workingspaces.json here. If you write ``` on an empty line before and after a piece of text
it will look like code
  1. Please make a screenshot that shows the location of the ICC profile that you refer to in the JSON. If possible, show the absolute path (maybe that is visible when you show the file properties?).
2 Likes

I can confirm this on Linux, but I don’t have a Mac

A comment (perhaps a bit out of topic): in Linux that folder is by default the location where all color managed applications search and place profiles, so it may be a good idea leaving that option alone, but there are 2 scenarios where that won’t be suitable:

• if the user doesn’t have write permissions over that folder
  • if the user doesn’t want an endless list of profiles, that most probably will never use: at least in my system not changing the default folder would mean I would have to choose from among 14 sRGB profiles… Perhaps it’s worth adding an extra checkbox setting to load system wide color profiles? And leave the current option to point to a user folder where he/she puts custom profiles? Maybe this deserves a github issue?

Yes…I discovered that little trick later last night…
Getting much easier to use when I let the program do its own thing…:grinning:
And you took the trouble to tell me which is cool :sunglasses:

Just to specify, the "Working Profiles"used in hard-code, are in the form of a matrix RGB==>XYZ, so the primaries, no more than the illuminants appear.

This supposes (and it is the case) that these XYZ matrices are elaborated from the standard primaries and illuminants of each original profile (eventually with a Bradford adaptation…for example for sRGB, AdobeRGB…) . And obviously TRCs are not taken into account.

Jacques

On W10, it is by default a Windows system directory C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\color where I don’t understand why any app would like to put profiles except for display profiles (for instance displaycal). Furthermore, you need administrator rights to write here.
So a safe and only way is to use a user defined dir.
In the context of W10 I think the additional checkbox is useless.
This should better be located by default in the config dir.

@gaaned92

This is definitely OOT, so I’ve opened a new github issue where we can discuss the topic.

Just a note: I think my suggestion is not useless in Windows, as I’ve commented in that github issue.

Let’s talk there…

2 Likes

I am beginning to make a little progress…I can see input/output for the first time

@Keentolearn So you’ve found the iccprofiles directory. It should be small step now to add the workingsprofiles.json file to that folder and get your custom profile working!

Does that mean that you would like to see the exact same directory here( Preferences/Color Management) as we are going to have in :/Applications/RawTherapee.app/Contents/Resources/share/iccprofiles/ ( or whatever you decide is the best home for the rtICCDir ? or what exactly should be entered as “the Directory containing color profiles” in Preferences/Color Management?
I will then write a Json as soon as I get confirmation as to best Directory
for the Json

Yes important to know that !
I will hold off the Json exercise until I hear your view on where exactly to place it…
as always forever grateful…Rawtherapee is not just about great software…its also about a great community behind it !!!
Matt

1 Like

It really doesn’t matter much where you put the JSON,but as others have suggested, you might want to leave the system folder alone. So, if you found the iccprofiles directory, I would put the JSON there. The only problem you may have is when you update RT to a newer version as this might overwrite your iccprofiles directory and therefore erase your JSON. So please remember that before any future updates and backup your JSON (and ICCs). I’m afraid there is no better solution yet.

So near but…
This is the path to both json and j.Holmes!
Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 01.00.49|354x300, 50%
To get into iccprofiles I have to go through Mac “Go to the folder” command. Otherwise going through Mac OS Finder Directories, I meet the Rawtherapee application logo which pops open the app itself…ie no subdirectories and just a live app instead.! But that is not a problem really.
!

[Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 01.21.29|690x220]
(upload://zeUo0OYHOZ8gURIfrMzYL0bdKVJ.jpeg)

The Json

(upload://4jpIH79rwrHQW53BR40qDtsYZm.jpeg)

Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 01.30.39|690x220 (upload://jbUovWGjzouW6dQ8EHb2FOHUD8Y.jpeg) peg)

Rawtherapee just wont open Holmes in Working Screenshot 2020-12-08 at 02.25.57
Good Night

Splitting the path over two separate lines is asking for trouble. You also have a spurious space at the end of the string. But since you put the icc file right next to the json, why not simply go for the relative path, "file" : "./DCam 3,J.Holmes.icc"?

Edit: I didn’t check the actual filename of the icc file, but apparently that contains more spaces! DCam 3, J. Holmes.icc is the correct name.

Will do that later today😀

It is worth stating explicitly that for Windows users the path to the file set out in workingspaces.json has to use the Unix “/” and not the Windows “\”.