Adding Custom Working Profiles

About the Mac not recognizing the json file, perhaps your best bet is to place it inside a folder where you have full read/write access, as in your Documents folder (just create a subfolder and name it something like RTicc). After that, point RT to that subfolder in Preferences > Color Management > Directory containing color profiles and restart RT. Then, theoretically everything should go fine.

And about the displays, there are some of them that have their own hardware calibration device built in. After a calibration process they save the icc profile inside the display, not in a hard drive in the computer. So, if you somehow can access that icc profile and save it in your computer, you can then use it as just another icc profile.

Thank you for your reply
I will experiment later today and let you know the result

1 Like

Xavier, the profile is measured, created and APPLIED inside the monitor using the monitors built-in 10bit adjustable LUT, but the profile is still written to the main display profiles folder as well!

Here is a video that explains the differences between hardware and software calibrated systems very well https://youtu.be/9hVfwW9LK8E

1 Like

Well, I don’t have one of those, so I didn’t knew that :slight_smile: :+1:

Where does one put workingspases.json and what format should one use to describe the profiles?

@Keentolearn

foreword: I am not a Mac user, but I have some remarks and questions if that can help

1-location of RT own ICC directory on MACOS:

• it is effectively said in rawpedia that RawTherapee’s own ICC profile folder is /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays on MACOS.
    The RawTherapee own ICC profile folder must contain two subfolders ‘input’ and ‘output’. Is it true?
    if not, where are input and output folders containing all shipped icc profiles?

2- setting custom WS

• As @XavAL suggested, use a folder and subfolder where you are sure to have read/write access and point RT to it in preferences. ( Preferences > Color Management > Directory containing color profiles)
  • put in this folder your own output profiles and your workingspaces.json. You can also put her your custom WS , it is not required but easier
  • in the file field of the json you must provide an absolute path to your working spaces, even if they are in the same directory as the json. (don’t forget to restart). The new WS are available.
    Be careful with the path syntax on MACOS, I don’t know what it is.
    Only primaries and white point are taken into account.

tested example on W10 (but not very useful)
dir containing color profiles: D:/profiles/RT-ICC

{“working_spaces”: [
{
“name” : “prophoto-elle”,
“file” : “D:/profiles/elles_icc_profiles-master/profiles/LargeRGB-elle-V4-g10.icc”
},
{
“name” : “ACESCG-elle”,
“file” : “D:/profiles/elles_icc_profiles-master/profiles/ACEScg-elle-V4-g10.icc”
},
{
“name” : “ACES-elle”,
“file” : “D:/profiles/elles_icc_profiles-master/profiles/ACES-elle-V4-g10.icc”
}
]}

3- Holmes method with RT

• To benefit from Holmes method, you have to export the image with the Holmes basic ICC as output profile. The benefit from using the same profile as WS is that the transformation WS->connecting space-> output space will be a null operation, with just application of a TRC, LUT, gamma or whatever. After that you can assign a holmes derived ICC to the exported image. Assign means that you replace the original icc by the new icc without modifying the RGB data.
    I think using embedded prophoto WS should be ok.
1 Like

Hi Everyone
I am really grateful to you all for chipping in to resolving this working spaces issue. Hope that I can be of some use to someone someday in return…
From my limited perspective I have observed the following developments since the thread of 90.
Xavier and Heckflosse agree that the RT profiles bundled as working spaces are hard coded .The hardcode can be penetrated by mean of json files but it is equally possible to manually add additional profiles other than through the json method.
Chasing Shadows has established that Rt 5.8 working space profiles are not working space ('spac") profiles but are instead monitor(mntr) profiles. We know that basic information only is extracted from these profiles and the view seems to be that display profiles are ok to use in the working space category provided they qualify as RGB profiles.
To summarise, I am a bit surprised that the hardcoded bundled profiles are not working spaces profiles. Could this possibly be a reason why Mac OS is being contrary?

“And about the displays, there are some of them that have their own hardware calibration device built in. After a calibration process they save the icc profile inside the display , not in a hard drive in the computer. So, if you somehow can access that icc profile and save it in your computer, you can then use it as just another icc profile.”

Yes I have an Eizo 2420 hardware calibrated monitor and it saves an extra profile copy on the hard drive. i fail to see the relevance of using that particular facility as a means of including a Holmes profile in RT’s working profile category. Am i missing something Xavier? Also, thanks for the idea in the first place…appreciated
Matt

[quote=“gaaned92, post:111, topic:18022”]
it is effectively said in rawpedia that RawTherapee’s own ICC profile folder is /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays on MACOS.

correct…

The RawTherapee own ICC profile folder must contain two subfolders ‘input’ and ‘output’. Is it true?
if not, where are input and output folders containing all shipped icc profiles?

There are no input/output folders available. Most profile options are hardcoded and any custom work goes into /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays or any directory that you wish to use in Preferences/Colormanagement…)
I use my camera profile for input…automatically picked up by RT and CA and Lens adjusts are immaculate…

bundled RT Working profiles are hardcoded…impossible to reach . Json files are meant to penetrate RT Working Profile Combo box by lodging both the Holmes.icc profile itself and the relevant json file in the directory outlined by you above /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays …we are using, it appears, monitor profile structures as working space profiles .However the profile requirements are simple enough and the profile classed as a monitor profile appears not to be of concern provided it is an RGB profile.
Output profiles are lodged in the directory outlined again by you above /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays and in addition RT has its own output profiles collection included in /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays

custom WS

" As @XavAL suggested, use a folder and subfolder where you are sure to have read/write access and point RT to it in preferences. ( Preferences > Color Management > Directory containing color profiles)"

Yes I agree…i have watched the ownership issue from the start and am following all directory and preferences instructions too.

“put in this folder your own output profiles and your workingspaces.json. You can also put her your custom WS , it is not required but easier”

I agree and in fact Rawpedia pages 325/8 outlines exactly where the jason file is to be lodged /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays on MACOS. Rawpedia also insists that Holmes .icc file and the json file are placed in the same directory /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays .
Rawpedia 325/8 gives no clue as to where custom output profiles are to go…but it is the same directory /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays . That discovery took a bit of time to unravel because I assumed that the Json file was talking to the Output Profile Combo Box.In fact it was just that the Holmes.icc profile was being recognised without any assistance whatsoever from Json.

" in the file field of the json you must provide an absolute path to your working spaces, even if they are in the same directory as the json. (don’t forget to restart). The new WS are available.
Be careful with the path syntax on MACOS, I don’t know what it is.
Only primaries and white point are taken into account."

Thanks

3- Holmes method with RT

• To benefit from Holmes method, you have to export the image with the Holmes basic ICC as output profile. The benefit from using the same profile as WS is that the transformation WS->connecting space-> output space will be a null operation, with just application of a TRC, LUT, gamma or whatever. After that you can assign a holmes derived ICC to the exported image. Assign means that you replace the original icc by the new icc without modifying the RGB data.
    I think using embedded prophoto WS should be ok.

I am used to assigning Holmes Variants to the Holmes Master profile for higher/lower saturation…your advice to exiting RT in Output mode with a Holmes basic profile and then simply assigning ( not converting ) back into the Photoshop Holmes master profile is just brilliant. I often wondered whether I would I be converting from Holmes to PCS to Holmes when switching apps but assigning is the smart way…no wasted number crunching and no color changing either…super stuff

THANK YOU for all that knowledge …I know Im keen to learn but this is tops altoghter!
Matt

1 Like

@Keentolearn Matt, could you please try to fix your post? It’s really hard for me to read what is a quote and what is your own respons. There is an easy quotes functionality in this forum: just select text from a post and a box with “Quote” will appear. Click it, and it will appear in the post you’re writing. Much easier to read than copy/pasting yourself and adding quotation marks.

Roll
Thank you so much for that invaluable tip…
It will make it so much easier for you to read and myself to write…
Again thanks for your patience. Appreciated
Matt

Only working space profiles are hardcoded.

Rawtherape use:
input profiles (either ICC or DCP) for camera.
Working space profile to translate data to working space
output space profiles to generate exported images.

You also have to define your display profile in the preferences.

Thus if there is no “input” and “output” folder in /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays I can deduce it is not the RawTherapee’s own ICC profile folder which,then is located somewhere else. So no interest to put something inside /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays.

Please, could you help trying to find where are the two folders “iccprofiles/input” and “iccprofiles/output”.

First search for profiles/input and profiles/output nearby the executable.

In conclusion, following above: don’t put anything in /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays except display profiles.

Perhaps, following what you will answer above, Rawpedia has to be corrected.

If there is no “input” and “output” folder in library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays, RT puts and retrieve nothing in this directory.

It seems that rawpedia is wrong. So don’t try to use /library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays.

Try exactly what I wrote following @XavAL suggestion to add additional working space profiles. It should work.

@ggbutcher where is your thread about color management and use of profiles ?

1 Like

i agree totally

Raw Therapee picks my DCP Nikon profile and I can correct CA and Lens Distortions effortlessly

I am searching now…I can tell you definitely that for Output ,I got the Holmes.icc to show up in Raw Therapee Output Combo Box by putting the Holmes.icc in MacintoshHD /Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays
i will search for the correct Output Directory on MacOs, starting in System and working out from there

I have some positive news.
Some of the profiles/output are stored as follows:
Macintosh HD/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays/
My Holmes.icc is there…but all the Rawtherapee RTV2 and RTV4’s are definitely not to be seen…
will keep rooting for profiles/input
profiles/input
more good news… my camera profiles (DCP) are stored in Macintosh/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Nikon
Displays are next door in Macintosh/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays

I will need some help for that as I don’t have an alternative directory suggestion for my output profiles except Macintosh HD/Library/Colorsync/Profiles/Displays/
(Rawpedia page 325)

very interesting…there definitely never was an input or output folder in Displays that Raw Therapee could use.

“Try exactly what I wrote following @XavAL suggestion to add additional working space profiles. It should work.”
will do exactly as you and Xavier wrote… tomorrow …( its 2 in the morning here)…goodnight and thank you for being so helpful again

Matt

1 Like

@Keentolearn When I suggested to use the quotes feature, I didn’t mean that you have to make multiple posts :slight_smile: As a matter of fact, you can use it multiple times in the same post while composing. Just select a text and press the appearing “Quote” button.