Adjusting phone colors

Hello everyone,

i have a phone that is able to shoot in raw, but i find colors really really bad.

Unfortunatly i don’t have a color target, and it costs a bit too much for me :wink: . Despite this, i have a camera that i think produces rather nice colors, much much better than the phone.

Is there a way to for example take a picture of a monitor displaying a Color Checker chart file with both the phone and the camera, and use the two pictures to roughtly create a profile that can make the phone colors similar to the camera colors? Surely not the Best Solution, but maybe a lot better than nothing.

For the color checker, maybe something like this? https://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/mlc-downloads/downloads/submissions/38236/versions/1/screenshot.png

Thank you in advance.

Can you post an example raw file that the phone produced? What software are you using to display/edit your raw files?

1 Like

Not very likely. You have ton of intermediate color changes to account for, and a chart is a properly calibrated piece of material.

Chances are that your phone raw has some weird embedded profile causing the wrong colours. See for example here: Changed the limit for color temperature, now white balance is wrong when using a camera profile - #7 by MakeItColder

1 Like

For example this picture: https://raw.pixls.us/getfile.php/1877/nice/HUAWEI%20-%20DLI-L22%20-%2016bit%20(4:3).dng

I use mostly Raw Therapee.

In the past i’ve tried to take pictures of the only target i own, but i don’t know what to do with them… it’s a Kodak Q13, i’ve posted a thread here but i can re up the picture.

So now that i have took 2 or 3 maybe interesting ( or better not that bad for me :wink: ) pictures with the phone, i had this idea of the color target with the monitor.

I think making the pictures of one camera look like pictures of another camera is somhow not the right approach

You need color calibration profiles. There are community members who share them, and there are also the ones provided by adobe with their dng converter (it is free but not opensource free in the way rms would have liked).

1 Like

@ggc Do you want the colours to be true? Or do you “just” want to put more dynamics into your .DNGs? Do you like the phone’s .JPG images?

If dynamics, make this small experiment with your tree image (as per link above), using RawTherapee:

Load image.
Select Processing profile Neutral.
Second Tab (Detail): set Haze removal to ON, and set Contrast by Detail Levels to ON. In the Contrast by Detail Levels module, click the Contrast+ button four or five times.

Is the image now more to your liking?
If so, start experimenting with Film Simulations, for instance… More info here Film Simulation - RawPedia

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

@ggc, Here is a pp3 file for the photo you have given link to. I found two issues. First is the slight colour shift and second is the heavy vignetting. So I used only a module each to fix those issues. RGB Curves for colours and negative vignette. Have a look.
HUAWEI - DLI-L22 - 16bit (4_3).jpg.out.pp3 (12.1 KB)

PS: I used standard RT 5.8.

2 Likes

Unfortunatly there are no profiles for phones, or at least for most of them.

Thank you, i don’t want colors to be true at all, but maybe a bit bitter ;).

i have tried (and i have already played a lot with colors, hsv, wb and film simulations), but still i’m not that satisfied with the results so i asked for a way to mimic camera results.

Thank you, i like it a bit more but it still doesn’t look that good to me, that’s why asked for a sort of color matching profile.

I have also made a vignetting profile for that phone, but unfortunatly it doesn’t work with unedited dng (raw therapee doesn’t show focal lenght and aperture of dng from phones even if exiftool does) and sometimes it clips highlights making them unrecoverable due to a bug.

If you have an extreme color shift, like from having an RYYB sensor without an embedded profile to fix it, you can probably correct it by making a profile off a color checker image file. For reasonable color accuracy beyond having proper greens, you will have a much easier time buying a color checker.

many DNG files produced by smartphones (including the one linked above) have embedded GainMap opcodes that need to be applied in order to correct vignetting and colour cast issues. FWIW, ART does that automatically (you need the latest master from git), but I’m not aware of any other free raw processor that supports them, unfortunately.

3 Likes

Really nice it will make situation better for sure! I’ll wait for 1.4 since appimage ART_master_1.3-128-g6b1758a_20200607 doesn’t seem to work on my system.

Thank you!