Advice about Canon vs *the others*

So, I’ve been on the Canon side since about 2010, when I bought my EOS 50D. Recently the trigger for the shutter gave more or less up and provided me a reason to upgrade. As I knew the 50D (and before the 40D) it was reasonable, to buy the newer 80D (got it from ebay for a fair price).

Now, and some of you are guilty for that(!), i saw in the play raws crazy examples, what other systems are able to. I’m looking especially at some fuji images which are nearly black and can be resurrected to more or less noise free perfect images… and that makes me a bit jealous, because the indoor/low light images I take, are really bad noisy and have not much room to play with.

Yeah, I know the arguments

• what kind of images am I interested in?
  • it’s all a game of the manufactures to sell their stuff…
  • not the camera makes good pictures, but the photographer
  • full frame vs crop
  • what lenses do I own

You can go round in circles.

I’m more looking for someone with experience in the EOS XXD line, who has also used other systems (maybe some fuji stuff?) and can put things into perspective for me.

• Is the 80D really that bad? Can a fuji/sony camera with in the same league provid better pictures?
  • Did you do a system change? (yes, I do own a bunch of lenses)

I know this is pretty subjectiv and also there not really an answer to this, but maybe someone can help me out regardless.
(I’m not interested in a newbie consultation, but very open to the experiences other can probably share).

Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

With a Nikon Z camera you will be able to use all your lenses via an adaptor.

1 Like

I also own a 50D so I too would be very interested in answers to this question!

1 Like

I own a 70D but the latest and greatest in that line is the 90D which is already 3 years old.

And Canon also has mirrorless APS-C cameras, the R7 and R10 (we will forget the M series, now that there are APS-C cameras that can take the RF lenses…). There is an official EF-to-RF adapter so you can keep your EF lenses (not too clear if the EF-S ones also work, but I don’t own many).

1 Like

The 80D upgrade was a bit of a dissapointment. It gave good utility (especially the turnable display) but image wise it barely made a difference.

I think it is less about brand and more about generation of camera. Something newer should have much better shadow recovery. If you’re 5-10 years behind on your sensor, there have been a lot of enhancements with noise, shadow recover, etc etc.

9 Likes

IMHO experience there are no bad brands anymore nowadays, just bad choices within a brand. I’m a Pentax shooter myself but if I were to compare the K-5 I currently use as an IR-converted body to current up-to-date models of other brands I could potentially conclude Pentax is no good at all.

However, my KP shoots up to ISO12800 and beyond with very manageable noise. After all, there are only a few sensormakers in the world and most brands source their components at the very same Chinese factories. They just assemble them differently and maintain different specs.

Like someone else already said: this is not about brands but about generational differences. Don’t be tempted to hop-skip to a different brand, just get a newer body and use the glass you already have.

2 Likes

Thanks for your judgements. Generational differences… that makes sense. It didn’t feel to me, that the 80D lags so much behind already - but I guess you are right.

BUT I don’t believe, that the 90D would be much better.

That leaves the full frame bodies on the table. The EOS R* have probably the newest tech (didn’t investigate much, feel free to correct me!), but they lack the mirror (which I like, a bit old fashioned maybe?). Also I’m unsure, if I have to leave the APSC world, to get the desired dynamic range.

Check https://www.photonstophotos.net/

You can compare the sensor performance.

7 Likes

Very nice!

Looking at the Canon options… 80D 90D seem to have similar dynamic range. Worthwile upgrades are full frames EOS R5 or 5D Mark 3+…

Seems I have to get a full frame for a better dynamic range. Looking at the prices, that would probably mean the 5D Mark III.

Taking the fujifilm into account, the X-T3 with an APS-C sensor seems to be half way between.

But I wouldn’t like to change my lenses.

Looking at the full frames …I’m not really happy leaving APS-C, as I’m quite happy - dynamic range aside.

Guess I stay with my 80D and arrange with the situation / hope for something new - tech changes so fast.

I jumped from a dated APS-C camera to FF mirrorless, might not have if I had a few more lenses. The mirrorless thing was a very small consideration, but it came with in-body stabilization, which turned out to be a significant boon in hand-hold minimum shutter speed, now about 1/10sec even with the 70-300 zoom.

I was primarily after dynamic range, and I’ve not been disappointed…

3 Likes

Thanks for this, I appreciate it!

That’s a useful sort of site. @qmpel I have a Nikon D7100 (APS-C) which seems very similar to your 80D on the dynamic range graph, and I’m quite familiar with the lack of room for pushing shadows and that kind thing. Interestingly though, using a similar age APS-C Sony Nex5 it seems rather better. (albeit lower pixel count) But on the dynamic range graph it’s actually worse. Maybe I’m missing something…

1 Like

It is explained in the website. Be careful to compare across models on just the iso.

Comparing your 50D vs 80D, you will notice that there was not a significant change in sensor performance.

2 Likes

You can adapt your Canon lenses to Fuji X mount, but if it makes sense economically depends a lot on which and how many lenses you already have. A good adapter can easily cost more than 150€

First Google search result:

1 Like

I am on Canon 70D. If (or when) I upgrade - it would be a mirror less.
My investment towards the brand is 2 lenses 18-135, 50mm 1.4 and a flash.

Regardless what brand you move to (or stay on the same) sooner or later - you will most likely have to change the lens system.

If you have invested already in crop sensor lenses (and you really like them) staying on crop sensor maybe a good idea.

If you have minimum investment on crop and want to benefit from some aspects of the full frame - then there is not much to hold you back.

Looking at something like this

can given an idea of the life span of a lens mount.
Ultimately - if you buy into something - it is harder to move to something else.
example being - if you are between crop and full frame (but you have solid reasons to like the FF) - buying into crop will prevent any more consideration of FF (and you will have to be okay with that).

My advice is - look at the camera purchase as a whole - camera + needed (or optional) lenses, flash (or strobes) - if any etc. then look at the total price and assess what is a must and what you can live without (temporary or permanently).

Last but not least - can you edit the images in the software that you like.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I used to be the owner of several purchased new 5D series cameras along with one 1D. After getting my money’s worth out of each I sold them all and now my primary camera is a Canon EOS M50 Mark II and I’m perfectly happy with the results I’m getting with it.

1 Like

This video covers pretty well what i love about Fuji X mount cameras. THE PROS AND CONS OF USING FUJI CAMERAS - YouTube

plus they are one of the few vendors who make fast APS-C glass. :person_shrugging:

I came from a Nikon APS-C body with FF lenses. and the weight saved made it so much more fun.

2 Likes

Any camera made in the last 15 years can take better images than I can cook up in my head. The last time I felt really limited by a camera was D300 crop era and that was due to ISO noise. Remember online reviews really stretch the machines to find flaws. Unless you’re one of the edge cases you’ll probably be fine. I’d stop reading charts and buy something in your budget that you’ll use. The worst camera is the one you leave the lens cap on or leave in your bag.

Myself I’ve been looking at one of new 40MP Fujis to add to my collection but been looking at the noise and wondering if my older Mk1 Fuji lenses are up to snuff.

When I went to my D850 a lot of my Nikon primes lost their luster. I since bought a used D3S (don’t judge me) and have been enjoying the 50mm 1.4 a lot more on it. Something about that generation of Nikon is just so nice and smooth.

1 Like

Welcome to the forums!
I am curious - what type of photography did you do with the 5D? How about now with the M50?

1 Like