Advice about Canon vs *the others*

From my part, this was more of a side note. Getting rid of this beast shall be my next quest!

A bit of background: this lens (Sigma Art 24-70 f/2.8 OS HSM blibblub) has a nice zoom range (for me) and my hope was, it could also have a nice sharpness (considering the amount of glass in there). But actually it is just double the weight, and less sharp then my sigma 17-50 f/2.8… so the lens is just laying here, gathering dust.
While using the art lens, I realized, that this is to heavy for me - even if the image quality was better.

2 Likes

So, B&H has the Sony A7 II on sale for $600 off, this week. I was considering ordering one, but I read some reviews and found out that they store raws as compressed files and don’t offer an option for uncompressed. Even the reviewer says that this will not affect almost all users, but it just doesn’t sit right with me.

I’ve been a little bit disapointed by the OOC jpeg but did not notice anything wrong with the raw format used on the a7. I do not know if it’s the same format used on the a7 II …

What an extensive set-up !
The ricoh GRIII really is a nice toy, compact and top quality, I’d love to get one for the same purpose … I wonder if anyone tried or own a sigma dp xxx and could tell how it compares.
The cheap alternative of lumix gx series can be compelling as well with smaller budgets

I just got one as well a few months ago and I’ve been really enjoying it. I was carrying a Fuji X-T3 for the same purpose before, but it was still just too big.

The GR iii fits in my fanny pack and is a no-brainer to carry around. The lens is nice and sharp, shoots DNG raws, nice dynamic range, jpeg in-camera metering is close-ish to the raw file, the lens is supported by lensfun (the 28mm version, at least).

I should have picked this up sooner.

4 Likes

Did you notice much of an improvement in AF? I’m interested particularly in improved performance with walking/running subjects

That’s only a problem if (a) the compression is not lossless, or (b) your favorite raw processor can’t open the compressed raws. I use lossless compression on my X-T20 and have no problems.

1 Like

I did not notice, but I also didn’t err focus on the auto focus.

As you might have guessed, I consider my purchase of the 80D a failure. It’s not, that it doesn’t work, but it’s essentially old tech. In the light of this thread, I should have purchased a “modern” body - EOS R7 maybe.

I’m about to correct this failure and sell the 80D and some unused lenses and reevaluate.

1 Like

No SLR lenses have that as well. Even my decades old Sony a65 had that .

Mirrorless lenses CAN be made smaller compared to what we’ve been used to from the SLR era.

The question is if that really happens. Or if lens makers use the weight to improve the quality of the glass (since modern sensors are more demanding for pixel peepers) .

A Tamron 70 to 180 2.8 e-mount is a massive difference in size and weight compared to the Sony a-mount 70 200 2.8 which i also still own . I call that lens 'the beast ’ (while i know 150-600 lenses or 400mm f4 lenses are even bigger).

Does the size/weight benefit come from more modern lens building? The 20mm missing at the long end ? Or the fact it’s for a mirrorless mount?
I don’t know. Probably all of the above. I do know i actually like taking the 70 180 with me, and i can’t remember the last time i used to 70 200 a-mount beast. It handles like a SLR style 70-300 f4-f5.6 ‘starter lens’, but gives you f2.8 . I think it’s awesome when you compare them.

But… To counter my own findings. As a smaller camera i went with an Oly omd em10 mark1. I loved how small it is, specially with a cheap entry level pancake lens. And I picked it because I wanted something that still gives me the 'photography experience’s , like back button focus , viewfinder , custom settings , etc…

But for a small camera ,the Oly has some metal elements and is heavier then ii think for its size.

Now, i replaced my Sony a65 SLR for a Sony a7mark2 some time ago . And that Sony a7 with a cheap entry level pancake lens… Did make me stop using my Oly for a while, because the Sony combo was actually not really different in size and weight !

I basically only use entry level lenses for my Oly (since i see it as the cheaper lighter 2nd camera). And i love that i can pack my whole kit in a little 9" camera insert. Body, effective 28mm pancake , effective 35mm pancake, effective 50mm, effective 90mm, pancake collapsible default kitlens, and a very small and light effective 85-300 entry level zoom . That whole kit fits in the same size as my Sony a7 with a 85mm 1.8.

So, i don’t think the mirrorless aspect is the real space saver, it’s more the thing if you want the best of the best or allow yourself to use cheaper and slower glass.

Still … my Tamron 28-75 2.8 e-mount lens is a bit smaller and quite light compared to my old 17-50 2.8 APS-C only a-mount lens . So steps have been made ! (Higher quality , full frame , smaller/lighter vs the older. But a no-compromise Sony 24-70 2.8 will be huge no matter what ).

1 Like

Sony a7 mark2 has the uncompressed format. It makes the files huge, though.

My older Sony a65 has that compressed format, and it is way overplayed what the impact is. Never had an issue with it, to be honest.

It loses out with edges with very high dynamic range.
But it’s not like it is a JPEG style compression where the pixels have artefacts.

You really have to try to make that old format break. Like in brightly lit neon signs at night.

It basically picks a base ‘exposure’ for every cluster of pixels (9 I believe), and then the pixels inside that cluster get only 7 bits of dynamic range. But those 7 bits are stored lossless.

So you get issues if there is a stark exposure difference inside a cluster. Because it can’t describe that the whole cluster is very dark, but an extremely bright pixel is still in it.

Anyway, that format is a bit old by now. The Sony a7mark2 got a firmware update way back to write files without any kind of compression.

Lately they have a 3rd format, best of both worlds. Lossless but compressed. But open-source support is still sketchy, I believe.

3 Likes

Hello Glenn,

might not be that interesting for you, but I just wanted to let you know, that your comment somehow stuck with me and lead to the decision to change systems.
Meanwhile I sold most of my canon stuff. I’m now experimenting with a Sony A7 iv, which got used for a fair price.

Currently I’m very happy with my decision and I just wanted to give back thanks for encouraging me, by sharing your experience.

Kind Regards
Robert

edit: somehow i got the wrong button, this should have been private… anyways I let it stand here.

3 Likes

That IBIS was such a game changer for me was totally unanticipated. I used to be sensitive to < 1/30sec, dating back from my film days in the '70s, but now that number is 1/10sec. I just take a breath, gently squeeze the shutter, and the camera gives me a sharp image, with all my lenses. Really, that too is about dynamic range, gathering more light rather than using ISO gain to make less light work with a hand-holdable shutter speed.

About evaluation: My very second job ever was selling cameras in a department store camera section. We had all the major brands and and all of their flagship models in the display case, available for handling. I don’t remember a customer asking to run a roll through any, but a lot of discussion was had on what one could see/feel just with it in their hands. The one camera we did keep loaded with film was the then-new Polaroid SX-70. I would pull that camera from the case, hand it to the customer, and tell them to take a few pictures. Proof’s-in-the-pudding, most walked away with the pictures they took, as well as a purchase…

These days, it’s hard to get a sense of confidence buying a device that costs north of $1KUS; so many factors to consider, just staring at a picture and product description on Amazon. The reviews help somewhat, if they’re of sufficient quantity and not too peppered with shills. My experience is Nikon-centric, but there are general things about it I feel are worth considering, no matter what brand one is looking at…

7 Likes

@qmpel regarding this image from the 80D where you tried the +4EV trick, if you still have the RAW, can you try enabling denoise (profiled) with the wavelets: chroma only preset in darktable and see if that easily cleans it up? Or try another technique for reducing chroma noise and see if one of those makes it a lot better. I know you switched to Sony, but I’d still be interested to see if this makes a difference for the above photo

1 Like

@garibaldi, sorry for the late answer. Yes, I’m able to clean this image up. And for family photos I’m actually not too concerned about some noise - most family members view the pictures on their phone anyways and when exporting to 1080p you can obliterate lots of noise.

In this picture the “denoise chroma only” does a good job.

here is a 100% crop

and a smaller view of the complete picture

Still, the picture shows the limitations of my (old) cam. For shots of my children I prefer 1/250 or less exposure times. Even with F2.8 that brings me in shadowy indoor situations into (even more) high iso areas. Which leads to more noise, than I’m willing to accept. What I didn’t show here, are 80% of my christmas pictures with really high noise level. Had to work a lot to get something presentable … :thinking:

The other main point is the auto focus. I really wanted a fast eye focus to get good focused pictures of playing children without spamming burst shots (I find these very distracting).

I hope this helps somehow?!

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response - yes this helps! I’ve also run into this challenge with low light indoors and I’ve started to wonder if the solution (for me) is to get a faster lens (e.g. 50mm f/1.4) to avoid the high ISO. In certain situations I’ve found my speedlite (bouncing off the wall behind me of course for diffusion) really helps too.

Regarding the eye focus on fast moving children, this is something I am interested in as well. You found that the 80D was not good at this? Reviews online really praise the 80D’s AF system and even it’s eye tracking, so I’m surprised to hear this

Yes, a faster lens certainly helps. I had the 50mm F1.4 canon lens (now sold). It gets more light, but it also produces (of course) a tiny depth of field. So, for my family photos I didn’t use it too much. And regarding flash light … I’m not a fan (I like to take pictures from the back, not getting noticed - so that I get a few authentic moments :man_shrugging: and this makes it of course harder for the camera).

Actually you should take this with a grain of salt. I have to admit, I’ve apparently lived under a rock for some time (at least regarding photo technology) and the unsatisfactory focus is probably a combination of my inability and my old lenses (stuff had mostly slow focus motors, i realize now). A modern lens might have helped there.

It was mainly selling the old gear I wasn’t even using, that provided me the opportunity to start from scratch and make new decisions for my current needs.

AFAIK with the Canon cameras when you use a fast lens (opens at f/2.8 or more) the camera can use a more accurate AF sensor at the center (in the XXXD series) and possibly elsewhere (XXD, XD).

AF systems in consumer-grade MILCs have improved a lot in the past few years. Assisted with machine learning (which, for some reason, manufacturers call “AI”), you can just tell the camera what to track and it will be in focus most of the time, finding features like eyes if possible. Sony is still the best at this, probably, but other manufacturers are not far behind. Yes, the lens matters, and sensors with PDAF give an advantage, but Panasonic’s DFD and Canon’s Dual Pixel tech are also competitive.

This feature is mostly about computational capacity of the dedicated CPU in the camera, and algorithms making use of it. It is probably the largest difference between current and previous models for most manufacturers, if you photograph things that move, especially people. It is, unfortunately, not something you can boil down to a single number, like megapixels. It is best to read reviews (DPreview now tests this, shooting stills with a biker that goes left and right), or take an overactive toddler to a camera store and try out various cameras.

1 Like

If you want to stay in DSLR waters 90D is a great camera with many features of the mirrorless world. In live mode the focusing is super fast, has focus peaking (great for manual lenses), can detect the eyes, touch sensitive etc.
I’m not entirely sold on Canon mirrorless, mostly because I’d need an adapter like 100% of time and R native lenses are 2x expensive than EF ones. And batteries run down so fast, while on 90D I used to make over 1400 RAWs out of a single charge.

FYI … just another comparison regarding low light / noise performance

I took a low light picture with both cams:

• Sony A7 iv + Sigma 28-80/F2.8
  • Canon EOS 80D + Sigma 17-50/F2.8

I tried a fair comparison using the following settings:
1/25 sek. shutter speed on both
F4 on the A7 vs F2.8 on the Canon (same DoF)
ISO400 on the A7 vs IS160 on Canon (comparable ISO)
50mm on the A7 vs 35mm on Canon (same perspective)

I took the formulas from here

Nearly no post processing, just a crop to the same area (the A7 has more Megapixel, so on exporting to the same size, it gets an advantage here) and a little WB on the A7 picture to match the white a bit better (so, no sharpening or denoising in any form).
Ah yes, and I bumped the exposure +3EV.

The resulting picture, note the noise level, looks as follows (might need to zoom, to see differences).

One starts to think if the difference justifies the expenditure :man_shrugging: But then, the A7 has probably still more headroom going to F2.8 and also better performance in higher iso areas… would be subject for another test :wink:

1 Like