Advice needed - good mid-range Android smartphone camera

Most Android One devices give you 2 years of monthly sec updates. if you are lucky you got 1-2 more years with updates every 3 months and then you are out of service unless someone does a 3rd party rom for it.

1 Like

Checkout https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.caddish_hedgehog.hedgecam2&hl=en_CA likely based on open camera but so many options …full dslr control set…of course in theory…

I often don’t bother to edit the raws from the pixel…I take them just in case but they are so good that it is not worth the effort to try and improve on them esp just for regular shots and keep sakes

not my experience at all… at least the pixel2 produces ugly jpgs, it’s very easy to get much nicer results when starting from the dngs.

1 Like

I don’t doubt that you can and I can’t say I have a 3a…the wb is a bit cool in the jpg but the tones and sharpness are hard to replicate with a raw without significant time and what I really mean is I am sure you can make each photo better but if you go for a hike and take 50 or 60 pictures its not worth the time to process them…the gain for me is not worth the time…I’d rather hike more .:wink:

One more thing to keep in mind: the 48MP, 64MP, and larger resolution are likely “Quad Bayer” (or other trademark names depending on vendor) sensors. Though the sensor sizes are quite nice with these (e.g. 1/1.7") and should give decent dynamic range in their binning modes (12MP, 16MP etc.), I’m not aware of any phone that’ll actually give you this binned DNG output even if they support Camera2API well. It seems they only provide a “remosaiced” one with possible artifacts.

so does open camera? and I am quite happy with open camera. why would I pay for that?

I don’t pay and it has all the features working…maybe i have just not used a restricted feature yet…

that’s a good argument… On the other hand, I usually process less than 4-5 pictures per hike – most of my shots go to the trash can as soon as I get back home :wink:

For sure composed shots or really interesting ones…I likely need to cull more…I take a lot of shots in case of Alzheimers in the future but then I won’t remember what or where they are any ways…:grinning::grinning:

@shreedhar My wife ended up buying a Moto One Fusion (not the Plus).

I shot this one with the default camera app, which I like very much. It’s either minimalist and with a nice, modern look besides being very ergonomic, specially on manual mode. If it had exposure lock I think it would beat Open Camera, at least for daily usage.

IMG_20200926_160808244.dng (22.9 MB)

(This file is licensed under a CC-BY-NC 4.0 license)

OOC jpeg

My edit (not so easy as it should be, not sure why)

IMG_20200926_160808244.dng.xmp (17.2 KB)

EDIT: A very strong vignetting, btw, where I lost some time trying to tame it. I found tone equalizer better for that, at least on this image.
EDIT 2: The detail is very good and beats my old DSLR kit lens.

Congratulations @gadolf. This model is not available in India! Only in Latin America and the Middle East countries. Does this model also has Level 3 Camera 2 API enabled?
I am sure that you know it, but still wanted to point out that you can edit raw photos in the powerful Snapseed app (on your mobile). It has vignette correction built in. It is very easy to use.

(and also @priort): HedgeCam has a ‘Donate’ button in the app, but is free and open source.
HedgeCam download | SourceForge.net and GitHub - nucular/hedgecam-mirror: Git mirror of HedgeCam 2 by Caddish Hedgehog aka alexxxx82

@gadolf the DNG has embedded opcodes that allows an automatic correction of the vignette, if your raw developer supports that. Alternatively, you can also use flat-field correction. Both solutions are one-click.

1 Like

Yes, it does, I checked that with Camera 2 api probe you mentioned before.

:thinking: … can’t imagine pixel peeping on a 2.99 x 6.49 in screen… thanks anyway for the tip.

Thanks! It seems your Art does!

At first, I thought you were referring to the lensfun database. But then, darktable would also be able to correct it, and it doesn’t (at least not through the lensfun way).

Is there a module in Art that addresses it?

EDIT: Now looking at it, if I zoom out, I can see a bright vertical area at right that doesn’t seem natural. Do you agreee, @agriggio?

(it is showing neutral at this point)

I really have to port this to RT :wink:

2 Likes

Hi

This was applied automatically, without the possibility of turning it off. However, I’ve just changed that. Now you have to enable it explicitly:

EDIT: Now looking at it, if I zoom out, I can see a bright vertical area at right that doesn’t seem natural. Do you agreee, @agriggio?

I’m just applying the embedded gain map (mostly) following the DNG specs. Maybe the embedded gain map is not very precise… but now you can turn it off and apply a flat-field from file if you prefer

1 Like

Cool, thanks!

I thought about that. I wonder if another camera app would produce a more precise one, or if it comes from a low level Android/manufacturer function. As soon as I can get the hands on the phone I’ll compare shots from the default camera app against Open Camera.

cool thank you. i have to try out better, i have tried to upload a p20 lite file to raw.pixls.us and it doesn’t seem to auto correct vignetting. last time i checked flat field with my honor 6a i got strange results. When i’ll try bettter i’ll start a new thread, for now a big thank you!

At least with the Pixel 4 XL, DNG metadata definitely changed with an app update but not OS updated when the device was first released.

Google seemed to have screwed up and customers (including myself) got the phone one day before “official” release day. It’s clear they had a day-0 update for the camera app planned, because the DNG metadata for color profile was utter garbage in anything shot before that app update.

There may also be a general low-level OS “baseline” that affects third-party apps, not sure.

It’s good to see Motorola moving away from explicitly crippling low/midrange devices. The Z2 Play was fully Camera2 capable in the HAL, but they explicitly disabled it in build.prop.

1 Like