Affinity Photo on Linux/ Who would pay Poll

So, I love using Linux and open source as much as I can in my daily work. I’m amazed by the amount of software that’s promoted on Pixls.us that runs on Windows, Mac and Linux. It seems like the photography community is used to spanning across different OS platforms with one piece of software.

Affinity Photo is an amazing tool and is recently available on Windows. I’ve been using Affinity’s software for some time on Mac, but I would love to see both Photo and Designer available on Linux. I’ve done numerous interviews with the Affinity development team and they say that there’s no current interest to pursue Linux versions of their software.

Photo is a one-time cost of only $49.99. I’m wondering if there are other people like myself that would purchase a Photoshop alternative or are people wed to working in a FOSS-only environment?

Would you pay for Affinity photo was a Linux user

• I would purchase Affinity Photo for Linux if it was available.
  • I would not purchase Affinity Photo because I use only FOSS software.
  • I would not purchase Affinity Photo because existing software fills my needs.
  • I would never purchase software as a Linux user.

0 voters

What if both

I would not purchase Affinity Photo because I use only FOSS software.

and

I would not purchase Affinity Photo because existing software fills my needs.

Are both true as well? :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I do pay for my Linux software, but just not in a traditional vendor/license model. :wink:

6 Likes

I try to stick to FOSS software to the extent possible. If all the FOSS photography software out there was utter crap and did not fulfill my needs, I would consider purchasing a product that was not crap. At that point, the choice would be between buying software or not. Life is too short to use products that don’t do what you need to do.

Thankfully, there is plenty of excellent FOSS photography software, so it’s all moot. :+1:

1 Like

The Gimp is alive and well. The days when smarty pants persons who only wanna use “industry standard” software would tease the FOSS community are gone. There are still people out there for whom only things they pay money for are worth the effort …but then again there’s plenty kids out there eating boogers too. Point is that an awesome innititative such as GIMP should be encouraged as much as possible, especially when such improvements as we have laid out now are on the horizon. Open source projects such as Blender already surpass commercial software in many ways, and complaining that the interface is slightly different from other softwares is a silly excuse …learn to use it, nobody is born knowing an interface, all software have a learning curve.

Anyway; rant over. But it’s to be expected when you post in a FOSS forum promoting commercial software that is aimed to immitate another commercial software, hinting that what we already have here and are proud of is somehow not good enough. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re someone who is just genuinely curious, sorry if I was harsh; if you’re a troll …serves your right :slight_smile:

Interesting topic indeed ! :slight_smile:

A few years ago, 2013, I have read a very interesting and “similar” thread on the Adobe forum [1].
Some Linux users were asking Adobe to port Photoshop to Linux as well.
In essence, as reply, Chris Cox, an Adobe developer, explained there was not a market big enough on Linux to make this option viable ($) for Adobe.
In addition, from their surveys it looked like Linux users were not willing enough to pay for Photoshop :slight_smile:

At present, compared to 2013, Gimp has improved quite a lot.
There are also much more softwares wich may be ranked as “professionals” : Darktable, Krita, PhotoFlow, RawTherapee etc
In conclusion, I doubt there would be a market big enough for Affinity Photo on Linux right now…

[1] https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1249799

1 Like

There are two ways I usually handle this kind of stuff (same as unwanted phone votes).

• Tell the completely opposite of what I’m thinking
  • Block the caller

I would do the latter, but as an admin I can’t do that…

1 Like

Thanks so much for your response. This is really helpful.

What made me curious to ask the question was because so many FOSS photography software tools are available on multiple operating systems. I think there are a lot of artists who either are stuck using Windows or Mac because they are looking for tools that are OS agnostic. I think there would be more people interested in trying Linux as a stand alone operating system if there were more choices for them.

There’s 3D software that’s paid license models that run on Linux. I was just wondering if people would be open to also purchase image editing software.

I use Gimp and Krita regularly, but having access to new software like Photo and Designer would really be impressive. In no way am I knocking open source software that’s currently available. I’m just saying that there are different tools available that allow for different outcomes. Recently I wrote a blog post about reading Affinity Designer’s new manual. In my head of course I wanted to compare Designer at all times to Adobe Illustrator. What reading the book made me realize was that you need to embrace each piece of software as a unique experience in order to unlock its power.

There’s also software like Sketch that has a specific function for prototyping web designs. It unfortunately only runs on Mac. I think it would be great to have access to as many tools as possible. I’m just wondering in a broader sense if people would embrace purchasing software. :slight_smile:

I am truly sorry. In no way was I trying to offend anyone by asking the question. And in no way am I trying to upset people who use FOSS. I was just curious about what tools people would be willing to adopt. I think from the strong sentiments posted, I understand why many companies decide not to develop paid software for the Linux community.

I’ve been writing a blog for years, asking other artist to give open source a chance and how wonderful it is. I also work closely with developers in a multitude of ways and donate money when needed. I believe that open source is essential to growth and sharing knowledge. In asking the question, I was wondering if the two paid and FOSS could be embraced in a Linux environment.

Thanks so much for your candor. I find this all very helpful!

If you could pass that idea along to every person that has every typed “Photoshop is better than GIMP” I’d be super happy :wink:

I don’t think it is that “Linux users don’t want to pay for software” I think it is that traditional licensing schemes are often at odds with software freedom. If you look at places where there is overlapping data, such as humble bundle, you’d see that Linux users have no problem opening their wallets. If you look at platforms like patreon and kickstarters for free software projects, Linux users have no problem opening their wallets. It isn’t being cheap, its wanting the user freedom. Companies with a traditional licensing scheme don’t know how to work with the community, so they just skip it.

4 Likes

Hello Stephen_egts, !

I am glad you are working with Krita as well :slight_smile:
Joking aside, I do not think at all that your post was in any way “offensive”…
It is just the topic which might be “controversial” for some Linux users…

Let’ s take, DaVinci resolve [1], which is a very powerful professional video editor.
On Linux you have to pay for it. On the contrary, on Windows Davinci resolve, the free (freeware) version, is free :slight_smile:
Lately Kdenlive has been released for Windows as well.
Personally, I would not use Kdenlive on Windows but I would prefer Davinci resolve and yes I am a Linux user as well…
To put it simply, because even though Davinci resolve is freeware stuff (no source code available) it is amazingly powerful ( more than Kdenlive IMHO ).

[1] DaVinci Resolve 17 | Blackmagic Design

1 Like

Same! I’m a big proponent of monetary support and volunteering any time necessary to open source projects that you believe in. I was just wondering if people would ever be interested in paying for software through way of a license. I prefer to use open source whenever possible, but I don’t exclude using paid software. I wrote a blog post a few months back after interviewing Affinty Photo on their Windows Beta release. I asked Affinity if they would ever consider Linux as an operating system to support. They answered “probably not, but you never know.” I was wondering what other people thought about having both paid and open source software on their systems.

For me, it’s not about industry standard software. Personally, I don’t think there is such a thing. I would love to just have all my tools under one roof. I think that Gimp and Photo have equal merit and strengths and I use them for certain things.

Indeed, I don’t think anyone took offense to your post as it wasn’t offensive. But when dealing with Linux you’re dealing with a lot of idealists as I’m sure you already know!

I wish I could use only free software, but it isn’t possible at this point. VueScan and oxygen XML editor simple have no application that is even close.

Some of your blog links tripped the automod (posting the same link multiple times in a thread, I think), but I think we have fixed the problem, sorry if you got any weird notices.

1 Like

I wouldn’t pay because I generally don’t support the enterprise model of software deployment. What I would do is volunteer my time or donate my money if they open-sourced it and made it freely available, and if I found it to be useful and important to me. Which is what I do for many of the FOSS projects that are useful and important to me.

1 Like

A lot of people in FOSS are Linux users, some are not. I personally love Linux and have been using it for 10+ years. For me it started with the philosophy behind it; I was amazed that people would work towards the greater ideal of producing a great product for the sake that it would be awesome if it existed and people could use it (similar to the reasoning behind scientists’ work before that too became overly commercialized), while traditional software companies produced …basically products that could make them profit, the the reasoning that …well they wanted profit. They would improve their products in order to stay competitive on the market …while Linux would improve in order to get better, cause better is better.

As time went by I shared my findings with those around me, I’d say, sure it’s not quite there yet but look what community effort is producing! And I’d use it on purpose as much as I could because I loved the idea of it. People, in response, were not very welcoming towards Linux. They would for the most part complain about the learning curve, or that the main thing they like to do isn’t available on it (mostly in regards to gaming), or that their favourite software doesn’t run on it …and the Linux compatible alternative, not that it’s bad …or lacks features, but looks different …and if the interface looks any different it’s more of a change than they are willing to deal with. That’s fine. Not everything is for everybody. But people became more informed as time went by and the arguments changed. They began to understand FOSS and the philosophy behind it and their indifference turned to dislike as they began to respect their commercial software more due to, according to them, there being more of an effort put into it …since after all it’s done for the sake of the ultimate motivator, money, rather than FOSS which is done mostly by volunteers, motivated by goodness knows what, who probably invest less time in it, and therefore obviously can’t be expected to yield similar results. Tools like photoshop were considered the power tools, while FOSS stuff were a bunch of toys. And many people began not so much equating the amount they spent on software as representing the software’s quality level, but more if there is no money involved it can’t be good software.

This was very upsetting. Now truth be told, I was never much of a gamer; so the next step was not a hugely hard one for me to take. In 2005 I uninstalled windows, since Linux was able to do everything I needed it to do, and I never looked back. I made a point of using FOSS exclusively and helping it get to where I want it to be, in the way that I am able to (I am no programmer, but testing doesn’t hurt too bad, especially when you care about that piece of software and improvements in it mean a lot to your own workflow).

Gimp I found was lagging quite a bit behind photoshop, and although it was able to do what I needed, I was eagerly looking forward to things like 16bit support or adjustment layers. I am really glad Gimp is getting there these days, and RawTherapee is really only lagging behind Lightroom in terms of popularity.

I strongly agree with humaity improving it’s standard of living for the sake of living better lives …and not just because if you develop a better way of life you can subscribe people to it and making money is great so let’s improve the standard of living for the sake of wealth production. So you can perhaps get somewhat of an idea why people who were ridiculed, and decided to leave commercial software and its adepts in the cozy warmth of their club, and chose to fight the good fight, and are now on the verge of celebrating an age in which FOSS not only catches up but surpasses many commercial software in various ways … that they may feel frustrated when the commercial developers come around basically saying “hey guys listen …looks like you’ve come a long way; and we are considering admitting you’ve come far enough that we might grace you with a port of our software which usually is too good for your lowly system. what do you say? party?”

I’m sure that wasn’t the intent of your post. I like giving the benefit of the doubt; but perhaps you can understand why it may sound this way to some of us who shared the same treatment for avid windows users in the past.

I didn’t bring up how years ago, before Microsoft dug itself deep enough in the dirt that it had to become a Linux contributor, mister Gates himself called Linux and FOSS the cancer in the world of commercial software and how it is the the greatest impediment for software innovation; due to it impeding the sales of commercial stuff …when profit is obviously the true source of innovation; not anyone’s desire to have better products. (paraphrasing of course) :stuck_out_tongue:

Hope I don’t get banned for the aggresive tone :whale:

5 Likes

I asked for a free DaVinci resolve version for Linux some days ago, this was the answer:

Hi Tobias,

Thank you for contacting Blackmagic support.

We are unable to comment on any future plans for products or give timescales for such releases.

Please note that Resolve on Linux has very strict hardware and software requirements.
As such you would not be able to install Resolve on any distribution of Linux or on any system.
I would recommend looking at our configuration guide for Resolve as this document gives an overview of certified systems and components for running Resolve.

Please find a link to the Resolve 12.5 configuration guide.

http://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/20160726-118da9/DaVinci_Resolve_12_Configuration_Guide.pdf

I hope this helps.
If you have any queries or require any further information please do not hesitate to get in contact.

I agree but voted for only using foss software.

1 Like

15 years without w nor mac…
What do you write about?

explain ?