Affinity Photo on Linux/ Who would pay Poll

They’re abandoning Windows 7. To be honest, at this point, for many Windows 10 seem to be staying and among the gaming community, they already have made games compatible for W10 and more.

1 Like

M$ made it clear that they were changing their business model with the mass giveaway of Windows 10 to holders of copies of prior Windows releases. It was no longer about selling licenses for the OS. At least part of the game is now monetizing the information they gather about people’s activities. Millions upon millions of users will never bother to review and change the invasive default settings. The data slurping must be audible in M$'s data centers.

3 Likes

While this is probably what they want to do, it is not really compatible with the european GDPR. And thankfully the GDPR seems to be a kind of blueprint for dataprotection advocates even in other parts of the world. Sure, they will not abide to this as long as they can…but at some point, specifically if they want government contracts for more security affine tasks…windows just has to stop sending data to the headquarters.
So, yes, Win10 is suuuper intrusive with it’s data gathering, but there are chances that this will have to change at some point. I would love for linux to gain more traction in the consumer world.

4 Likes

It has been quite some time since I’ve had a linux running on a machine at home. I just spent 30 seconds looking at Dell’s web site and I suspect that until linux is offered as an installed OS on the machines people are buying for themselves or their kids, linux isn’t going to crack mainstream consumers.

1 Like

To Dell’s credit, they do offer Linux installed on a few models. Unfortunately, not on most.

Continuing the discussion from Affinity Photo on Linux/ Who would pay Poll:

I think that will be the case soon

Just think about it: If there is MS Office for Linux, there will me many more Linux users. If there are more Linux users, there will me more libre graphics users.

Hello @betazoid

Just think about it: If there is MS Office for Linux, there will me many more Linux users.

Where did you get this information (about MS Office developed for Linux)?

I have read this “news” for ages but it has never been proven true so far… :slight_smile:

In all truth, I can not understand why Microsoft might be ever interested in porting its Office suite to Linux where the user-base is estimated around 1-2%…
Just think at the nigthmare to make it working on systems quite different as Gnome and KDE and you get an idea to the problems to face…

On the Serif’s Forum the developers have explained they are not willing to port Affinitity to Linux for this exact reason: there is not enough revenue in return

as is stressed in the offical MS annoucement, it is the FIRST office app for Linux, i.e. more are coming

Apparently MS is promoting Linux

Hello @betazoid

Thanks for your link!
Never used Microsoft teams so far…

From what I have gathered from your link it looks like a Cloud application not a native desktop software…
In all truth, this confirm my assumption that there is no real seriuos Microsoft’s attempt to work on a native Office suite available for Linux. From the economical return it does not make much sense in my opinion…

Right now you can already work with Office on Linux, through Wine…
Never tried personally because in my view it does not make much sense to work with Office on Linux
At present, you have already LibreOffice, which I use at work, where we have dropped Office, in hundreds of PCs…

In my opinion Office will never be ported “natively” to Linux BUT I would be really happy to be proven wrong :slight_smile:

In the past 20 years (no joking!) I have always read that the next year will be the one where Linux will make its way on Desktops but so far the percentage of users has always been stuck to 1-2%…
Even Canonical has reduced its sponsoring to its developers wokirng on Ubuntu for the Desktop platform, (Unity desktop I mean) since it was not giving much economical return.

I have had a strong feeling with the trends of Microsoft over recent years that Linux is the direction they are heading. I do not think they will buy up Ubuntu but I do think at some point Windows will migrate over to a Linux Kernel and it is still possible for all the games to still work assuming they port over DirectX and make some sort of Driver compatibility layer.

1 Like

Well, on Windows/Mac, a professional graphic designer has with Affinity Photo, Scribus and Inkscape a really good alternative to Adobe CC. It’s a pity this does not exist for Linux yet.

The only thing not present in linux is a single package with all the capabilities of Affinity, yet.

But you most certainly can do anything Affinity does if you use several apps.

1 Like

Yes you can use several apps which sometimes is a advantage in some ways because dedicated apps tend to be better then a app with everything thrown in. For me personally adjustment layers is my big one and I personally would not want to use a extra app for that. Aside from that I would be quite content on Linux if my PC actually worked with the OS. Well everything works except for audio seems my Lenovo P330 Tiny uses some sort of custom intel audio chip that linux refuses to allow me access to and I could not find any drivers for it for linux inside or out of the kernel. Everything else does work.

1 Like

I think it’s not possible to create a complex photomontage (poster, ad etc.) with Gimp in a large color space like Prophoto, is it? Or are there some workarounds? Is it possible with Krita?

Depends on what you need. If you need vector elements you would have to go to other software as far as I know to make those. Compositing should be entirely possible but would get painful if you need to use curves and other adjustments to get the layers to blend well. Not sure about Krita I know it has adjustment layers but I am not sure on how good it’s photo manipulation is due to being a painting app.

1 Like

It’s limited on photomanipulation only because it lacks guided selection (which I’m working on) and filters which I plan to add right after guided selection. However, you can do automated editing in Krita which is no small thing. A example is my luminosity mask tutorial for Krita 4.3+ and it uses cross-channel curve adjustment which is very powerful.

On stuff for creating content on game kind of editing, Krita can do everything. I always use it whenever I feel like doing it. Automated editing makes things so much easier.

Krita has paint layer,transparency mask,clone layer, filter masks/layer, file layer, group layer, transformation mask.

2 Likes