After an absence...

I am back. I managed to drop my Nikon D850, and it took a long time for Nikon to do a good, but expensive, repair.

Something else that is back is the march of the local pipe band through the town, something that wasn’t allowed to happen during the Covid years.

It is a bit of record photograph, but hopefully it does show things are getting somewhat better (if you neglect fuel prices, food prices and inflation).
20220808_0020.NEF (58.6 MB)
20220808_0020.NEF.xmp (8.4 KB)

These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

3 Likes

I like the crop as is. Tweaked the colors.
DT

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing another of your great photographs.
Very little change - slight lightening of the darkest areas, slight increase of saturation of the colours of the tartans and a crop very similar to yours.

Thanks a lot for this photo!
Tried make the clouds appear with more structure.

20220808_0020_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (23.7 KB)

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.0

20220808_0020_01.NEF.xmp (16.0 KB)

1 Like

Here’s my contribution with GIMP and plugin eq_lum_mask_h_m_s - David.

Thanks for the photo!
Here’s my version, with dt 4.0.
I had a slightly vintage sort of look in mind, and introduced a few hue shifts with the channel mixer and color balance rgb. Not quite sure what I’m doing!

20220808_0020.NEF.xmp (10.5 KB)

1 Like

I had a slightly vintage sort of look in mind, and introduced a few hue shifts

But, but, but - you can’t change the colours on the tartans…

Not quite sure what I’m doing!

Join the club

Ha! Very good point, which I didn’t think of at all :upside_down_face:

Thanks for posting…just noticed your jpg is 70MB… you can likely drop your settings considerably…

But you did do a pretty good job on the color noise… a few posters ignored it…it almost obliterates the face of the march leader among other areas if you don’t …

Edit above and this one are meant to show examples of the unhandled noise…not your edit…just to be clear :slight_smile:

Nice shot,
here my try in RT dev:

20220808_0020.NEF.jpg.out.pp3 (18,4 KB)

1 Like

Nice photo. I hope my simple edit does it justice. dt 4.0.0

20220808_0020.NEF.xmp (7.0 KB)

Uploading: After an absence_20220808_0020.NEF.xmp…

Thanks Todd. I’m not on my main pc atm but I just had a look at my xmp that I posted. I seem to have uploaded the wrong one… I’ll try :grinning: to update it later. But re the noise all I would have done is switch on profiled denoise. Always works well I find

Your right its great…for some reason it seems a bit strong on luma noise at times in this more recent few versions… I am sometimes still tweaking it…usually I use the dehaze preset in sharpen and diffuse…that can be strong so its a good trade off for a result…

Good point, sometimes I use the ‘chroma only’ (it’s called something like that) preset. Interesting about the dehaze preset in D&S. Never tried it! I will though.

I find it works more like a sharpening and detail enhancement compared to a normal dehaze but if your image is blurry its pretty good…

20220808_0020.pfi (63.7 KB)

Hello everyone,

Here is my version
based on the styles presented here (Sell these tomatoes - #13 by Underexposed)

20220808_0020.NEF.xmp (12.0 KB)

Christian