"Alpenglow" near Kinlochleven, Scotland

This is a fairly quick and sloppy edit of some mountains in the sunset near Kinlochleven in Scotland:

DSC00021.ARW.xmp (26.7 KB)
DSC00021.ARW (24.0 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike, Non-Commercial.

I really like the colour contrast from the top of the mountain to the bottom, as well as having some trees and flowers in the foreground.
It is a bit more colourful than I remember, though in general I like this edit.

However, there is room for improvement: maybe instead of colour contrast, use colour balance?
Also the maskig is a bit sloppy. Also the sky…it feels fairly natural, though a bit bland.

I look forward to your technical tipps as well as your creative ideas, be them in darktable or any other editor :slight_smile:

Edit: accidentially uploaded a wrong file. Fixed now.

7 Likes

Ummm, the picture you posted and the raw image file do not seem to match. I got a bleak picture of a little commercial van in an alley between a lot of big buildings.

2 Likes

Well I decided to play with what you posted and here is what I will call my grunge look of the street scene you posted.

DSC09521.ARW.xmp (12.6 KB)

3 Likes

Rawtherapee 5.8 + Gimp 2.10.30

2 Likes

Sorry guys, I accidentially uploaded the wrong file. I fixed that now, thank you for the plays, anyway!

2 Likes

My version…

DSC00021.ARW.xmp (14.0 KB)

2 Likes

DSC00021.ARW.xmp (34.0 KB)
What an awesome sunset! Would have loved to be there myself.
Here is my quick version…

5 Likes

Separating planes to make the flowers the main subject and the mountain the backdrop.

DSC00021.ARW.xmp (140.0 KB)

1 Like

As usual, I can’t bring myself to make things as bright as others. Maybe I’m wrong, but it appears to me to be a very early morning shot, because of the light on the mountain peak. I try to edit for realism as my mind sees it, and this is what I got. dt 4,4

PS - My very last step was to add a Haze filter. I kind of wish I hadn’t - the haze may have been real.

DSC00021.ARW.xmp (7.8 KB)

2 Likes

DSC00021.ARW.xmp (22.3 KB)

3 Likes

alpenglow_DSC00021.ARW.xmp (10.8 KB)

6 Likes

It was late in the evening, but I fully understand your train of thought. I am still trying to find a way in between naturalistic/realistic/stylish.
I would say, the mountains are spot on colour-wise, but it was indeed very hazy.
I remember the flowers and trees a bit brighter, but I do like the contrast between the dark foreground and the illuminated mountain top. Thanks for sharing your edit!

1 Like

Interesting idea!
I kinda wish I had less of the flowers and the trees (not possible from my position), but I like the emphasis on them. I do see quite a bit of haloing on the left side of the trees - I had the same problem and moved the mask a bit to the right/played with the details slider.
Thanks for sharing the edit!

1 Like

My attempt in dt 4.4
I mostly used a lot of Tone EQ, but also a gradient to darken the hedge with yellow blossom slightly.

DSC00021.ARW.xmp (18.3 KB)

4 Likes

Nice edit, I like it.
Thank you!

1 Like

Rawtherapee 5.8 + Gimp 2.10.30

3 Likes

To @dqpcoxeas, @Thomas_Do, @Alyx, @Suki2019 : I did not mean to ignore your edits - they are creative and interesting, I just realized this thread would get messy if I make multiple answers at once… But I will pick up some ideas for further edits, so thank you a lot for your contributions :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’ve not been on this forum much since registering, but saw this thread and thought I’d give it a go. 100% darktable. This was fun but challenging to edit! I decided to go w/ some ISO800 noise at the end. Getting the gradient to look natural while boosting lightness in the midtones is really challenging. I’m still not 100% happy with it … but I need to get back to work :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice shot

4 Likes

Looks like a nice, natural edit to me, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

My version fun

2 Likes