Alternate crosshair cursor

RawTherapee 5.11
opensuse tumbleweed 0241017
linux 6.11.3-1-default x86_64

I have a UHD 27" monitor. The standard crosshair cursor used when traversing the image in the edit window is almost invisible because it is so small and low contrast. The cursor is barely 1/8" (3mm) in size.

Is there a way to change it to a larger, more visible cursor?

The cursor should scale up with your system’s scale factor. Other than that, there’s no way to change the size. There’s also no option to change the cursor within RawTherapee, but it is possible to replace the image file for the cursor on your file system. It’s located at <your-rawtherapee-installation>/icons/rawtherapee/scalable/apps/crosshair-hicontrast.svg

Any suggestions about a tutorial for creating cursors?
Hmm. Which graphics library does RT use in linux?

I’ve made a few icons with Inkscape. I didn’t follow any tutorials.

What do you mean by the graphics library? If you’re talking about what’s used to display the cursors and other icons, the answer is GTK and Cairo

I looked at the SVG file with inkscape. There are 3 images. I presume all are needed to create a cursor. I do not know what each of them does.

Are you talking about the ones on the left, right, and top? Those are off the canvas/page so they won’t appear in the final image. I think those extra crosshairs are the building blocks for the final crosshair and were left in the svg in case someone wants to make a slight adjustment.

Nevertheless if you are on KDE Tumbleweed then spinning the cursor couple of times, momentarily increases its size so to find it on the screen once more

Little hack. Go to your icon directory and rename crosshair_small.svg to crosshair_small_off.svg. Then copy the attached crosshair_small.png to that same folder, then start RT. Does that help?

crosshair-small