alternative to midi for darktable/rawtherapee

Hi folks ,

im very interested in using a midi controller for my RAW Editing. As far as I understand from the existing threads, this isnt going to be that easy to implement, unfortunatley…

While thinking about this, another possible way of speeding up raw development came into my mind.

Would it be possible to have custom keyboard shortcuts, with which I can control a specific value with my mouse wheel while this shortcut is pressed?

Example: while keeping the key H pressed, I can controll hue with my mouse wheel. While pressing c, I change the contrast,…

I hope it is clear what i mean?

If this would be possible it would be very easy to create a custom Hardware control panel and this would be freaking awesome. Thanks for your opinions.

2 Likes

@houz actually started down the midi path last year. I am excited about this too… My wrists are super excited!

1 Like

Yep, I’ve seen the according discussions. But as far as I can imagine as a techsavvy non developer, the proposed way should be way easier to implement.

As additional proposal the according value could be blended in, while pressing the key, would also be nice to have.

Maybe a developer could give some feedback.

Thanks

@paperdigits …well, I have the xtouch mini working:

Let me clean it a bit and put it on github, not all functions on DT can be mapped using keyboard shortcuts but it works for me

1 Like

How did you know that my wrists are killing me? :slight_smile:

intuition? :thinking:

here it is: https://github.com/antonio-m/midi2dt I haven’t time to get it where I want, almost no free time :pensive:, hope this change soon…

The keyboard is Behringer Xtouch Mini, others brands should be able to work. Developed in Linux Mint 18.2 (Ubuntu 16.04) with python3, python3-tk and xdotool

2 Likes