An Absolute Beginners' Guide to RawTherapee

This is an absolute beginners’ guide to RawTherapee. If you are or know someone who’s just starting out, learning how to post process raws, this video might prove useful.

RT has ben my raw processor of choice for over four years now, and while I don’t claim to be an expert at it, I do know my way around it pretty well. Well enough so I can atleast do a decent job of explaining the basics to my brother (and anyone else that might be in the same position), who just started getting into wildlife photography, which is a big part of why I even made this in the first place.

Grab a beverage, get comfy, this monstrosity of a video is 80 minutes long.

15 Likes

Hello @zerosapte

Thanks a lot for your video tutorial!
I have really appreciated watching it.

Looking forward to your next (final ?) tutorial for advanced users :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very nice and informative! Thanks for making the video! I will be very helpful for newcomers.

3 Likes

@martbetz

2 Likes

Thanks Radu! I’ve been building RT since 2016 and I’ve never even been thru all these power-user buttons, browser filters, snapshot buttons you’re getting into. Good tutorial to set someone up to be a smart tool user (the long, windy road). Looking forward to the advanced tutorial. Any of these might also be good for advanced use: achieving a variety of styles, more of what is too-much of various tools (and why), choosing alternate tools to better achieve problem solving, more in-depth sharpening/noise reduction examples, and an understanding of how to properly take advantage of the pipeline order for better dynamic range. Color curve tools, L*a*b*, RGB, RGB Mixer.

2 Likes

Just had time to take a look at the video—very nice introduction to RawTherapee! Looking forward to more advanced topics.