An update on Rawpedia

I’m running into this with my work hugo migration and I’ve actually had good feedback from using the gitlab webui to edit files in-place. Most users just need to edit content markdown files so they can do this quite easily through that interface and never need to know the ins-and-outs of git to do it.

You could even theoretically make the hugo /content/ directory a separate repository so they can only edit content files and not the site config or layouts. And now that I’m saying that out loud I think it might make sense in some cases to explore that.

Another option is to integrate a CMS front-end like https://www.netlifycms.org/ - we actually had that setup for the main RawTherapee website once upon a time to test it and it seemed to work quite well. The benefit there is the WYSIWYG preview of the markdown along with an editorial review process baked in (draft, awaiting approval, published, etc).

I’m actually starting to look at things like https://fastapi.tiangolo.com/ to produce API endpoints for any data submissions that need to happen and to integrate it with my static site for low-effort tasks (filling in a form or something similar that just needs to do something with the data that’s simple). This way the form submit just hits a predefined API endpoint that does one thing mainly. :slight_smile:

My old company was sharepoint as well and it’s just a mess of tech stacks all smooshed together in weird and convoluted ways I thought…

1 Like

One of many reasons to not be using bitbucket. That’s a major part of the problem - Bitbucket Server/Datacenter’s licensing is such that we have to be careful who has an account there. Unless we can escape Bitbucket, I don’t think the hugo approach will be viable. (I am starting to push more aggressively to say that we should consider alternatives to Bitbucket because the JIRA integration is frankly so weak we wouldn’t be missing out on anything - especially since it doesn’t even work half the time.)

Interestingly one of our teams never left gitlab, so I’m considering starting to push for us to just go back.

I like this idea, i just started building websites using hugo and I would love to add contributions to the github!

2 Likes

Yup. This has been stalled lately - I’ve been pretty busy with other things, and the talk of moving all RawTherapee-related repos to a github organization has also stalled. :frowning: