"Analogue Style" in Digital

B/W film look:

processing ind dt:
20230824_0182.RW2.xmp (30.5 KB)
finishing with gmic light glow filter in GIMP

2 Likes

20230824_0182.RW2.xmp (12.9 KB)

I heavily favour “Analogue Style” when I process my images, but for me that means making the image look like it was taken on film and scanned yesterday, not like a 50 year old 6x4 print you found in a shoebox.

Partly because its much easier… you can always go to more effort, but I find that simply using filmic to bring everything into range and slapping one of these LUTs on gets you nine tenths the way there very quickly indeed.

EDIT: and I always use G’MIC to apply film grain. It’s not perfect, but the TMAX 400 setting is much more pleasing than anything I’ve got out of darktable’s grain module.

2 Likes

Are the halos around the children intentional, or artifacts?

They were intentional, but looking now again on the picture, I overexaggerated a bit. :open_mouth:

20230824_0120.RW2.xmp (15.6 KB)

2 Likes

Gave it a try for fun. Used Darktable 4.5, and mostly sigmoid and rgb primaries :slight_smile:

20230824_0182.RW2.xmp (10.7 KB)

3 Likes

Which Island is this?

Bass Rock

You can take a tour boat around it or even onto it for the day but, in the later case, I’d probably wear a wide-brimmed hat and boots. There’s a vid on the seabird centre’s website from a wildlife photographer talking about being shat on and beaked by the gannets.

https://www.seabird.org/boats/bass-experience

1 Like

Here you go, you can rock this. :stuck_out_tongue:

Dress is optional…

3 Likes

How to have fun on a wind-swept island!

2 Likes

:wink:

You’ve introduced me to a whole new genre of entertainment

2 Likes

LOL. Enjoy. :smile:

1 Like

Yeah, BLR is a black hole of time… Kinda like a few other websites I’ve come across. Sooner or later I had to just say, enough. :slight_smile:

I hate how every, single, thing, has turned into tiktok.

I’ve never even been on tiktok, but everywhere is now defacto tiktok.

1 Like

I think I’ve been on the Tiktok site once. Maybe? And honestly, that was accidental. I meant to click a sibling YouTube link instead. Even my 25 yo daughter says TT is “stupid” (I believe the word was).

Maybe if TT had actual films instead of videos. Then at least it would be more on-topic for this “analogue style” thread! LOL :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Good point. Even my conversations have become tiktok

Here is my faded/analog style attempt

20230824_0120.RW2.xmp (21.8 KB)

2 Likes

For the film look I prefer to just deploy a LUT as I haven’t been able to satisfactorily create the full look of some of these LUTs at my level of skill. I know how to cyan tone the sky or add a purple cast to shadows which are some of the more obvious features of some “film” looks but there are other points I haven’t learned to replicate.
LUT from HaldCLUT Set: Cinematic Film

20230824_0182.jpg.out.pp3 (15.1 KB)

1 Like