Andreas Feininger (one of my Top 3 ever) on BBC - YouTube

together with Peter Lindbergh and Alfred Stieglitz - one of the VERY best

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing this very interesting interview. Although not too long it is a nice insight into his way of thinking and approach to photography. I, just this morning, had a photography session but this wants me to go out again and keep shooting.

Every so often someone reminds me of the importance of different focal lengths and what it does to a scene, something I tend to forget at times. Btw: 40" (100cm) self build lens… Just wow.

It is really too bad that it has such a low quality.

It was a high quality lens by its time

The interviewer asked some difficult and critical questions. It’s nice to see. There’s a tendency now to be more fawning when interviewing artist and other cultural personalities. You learn more when proper questions are asked.

1 Like

Thank you.

1 Like

excellent interview, thanks for sharing, I’ll be watching the rest of the series too.

1 Like

so about a 135mm equivalent in 35mm terms on an 8x10 camera. Very interesting. Something I’d quite like to try now.

1 Like

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Loved his non-portraits.

From the images shown in the doc, I got the feeling that, more than representing professions, they represent the act of seeing, be it through the naked eye or a prosthetic one.

It is almost like all of those portraits are self-portraits of him in his act of seeing.

2 Likes

I think the interviewer was basically criticizing him for being to occupied with formal matters. He was clearly impressed but maintained a critique of Feininger photographing people and machines with the same eye.

Those professional portraits in particular are very reminiscent of early modernist paintings but also wood cut artists like Gerd Arntz and Franz Seiwert who obviously worked with high contrast (it’s wood cuts you’ve got black and you’ve got white) but also with types and pictograms.

1 Like

He was the son of the worldwide know painter Lionel Feininger - no wonder there is a modernist influence. And I can’t recommend his books too much! Yes, they are all about film and large format, but a lot of the stuff is timeless and composition doesn’t care about technical details

1 Like

Indeed.