Android DCIM folder empty when connected to PC

The sooner I solve this the better. My dad has been suffering from deadly chronic symptoms for the past 4 years. It is a miracle that he is still alive. I recently took a few videos to persuade his doctors to look into the matter. They aren’t, which is quite cruel.

I used Open Camera but, when I connect to my PC (win10) via MTP, the DCIM folder is empty. The downside of MTP is that the phone doesn’t act as a lettered mounted drive, just a virtual one(?), so I cannot simply copy over the storage. I tried emptying the storage caches.

You’re running stock android?

On lineage os I can choose the connection mode and can mount it as if it were a USB.

It is an OPO phone with CyanogenMod (the predecessor of LineageOS). When I plug in, it has USB options for File transfers (MTP) and Photo transfer (PTP). However, MTP doesn’t mount in the traditional sense. According to the web, it is a known problem.

PS I will try on a linux machine later today or tomorrow.

You could get termux, an android terminal, install rsync and ssh, then transfer them that way. Or grab an SFTP app, or an app like Nitroshare.

I usually upload to my linux computer using GitHub - stackp/Droopy: Mini Web server that let others upload files to your computer. At least that’s what I did before automatic nextcloud upload.

Thanks guys! Trying Nitroshare ATM. Installed it on android and win10. Seems to be working. Transferring slowly…

Update The phone’s progress bar stalled but the files were transferred successfully (checksums match). Thanks @paperdigits.

Open Camera doesn’t appear to be compatible with the OPO camera. All my photos are distinctly brighter on the right half compared to the left; I could see a line in the middle. :cry:

Have you enabled Camera API in Open Camera’s settings?

The phone doesn’t support Camera2 API. That might be a part of the problem. I keep on forgetting and taking these photos. :blush:

The important thing is that I was able to retrieve the videos. They don’t have this two exposure problem. However, they have artifacts as if from an old film reel.

That just means you’ll have a processing challenge :wink: