Andy Astbury's RawTherapee videos.

Assuming for the moment that you are talking about the 6 curves and 3 equalizers in the L*a*b Adjustments section: Yes, you most probably can. But…

I think that the sane approach is to not exclude any of the tools as a starting point. Each image (or image series) needs its own approach and has its own unique challenges.

The image in the 3 Ways to Lighten… video is a nice example: This specific image does not benefit all that much from using the exposure compensation slider, as is explained by Andy. So you need another way of approaching this and Andy shows 2. You could also use the Local Adjustments tab + tool(s) and target specific areas (just an example, this would not be the easiest approach in this case :wink: ).

1 Like

Doesn’t Lab have 9 curves and 3 equalizers?

Thanks for your thoughts - it’s complicated but also nice to have these options.
Okay, I’m going to be more humble and stop asking if you can do everything with the curves.
Let me ask you this:
Can you replace the “Exposure compensation” with the RGB curves? What does the curve shape look like that corresponds to “Exposure compensation”?

If I could afford it I’d hire you as my PR manager Jacques :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

OK, here come my thoughts and musings…

First, RGB - any RGB value contains information about the COLOUR & ‘BRIGHTNESS’ of a pixel - supplement whatever word you like for ‘brightness’.
Next, CONTRAST - can be thought of as a ratio of brightest ‘brights’ to darkest ‘darks’ - just as monitors have a contrast ratio and print papers have a dmax and dmin contrast ratio.

The exposure compensation slider is - even though it’s supposed to be an ‘RGB’ control - very useful because it effects every pixel in an image to exactly the same degree.
If we take -1Ev out of an image we take every pixel down by -1Ev irrespective of it being a highlight, midtone or shadow.

HOWEVER - there is a caveat to this!

If we already have a shadow/black value of ‘0 RGB’ we cannot make it any darker by removing -1Ev, but we still drop all the lighter tones by -1Ev thus making them all 1 stop darker, so we DO effect the overall image contrast ratio - we reduce it.

The same can be said if we go the other way with +Ev comp - we will maintain our existing image contrast RATIO by adding +Ev comp right up to the point where our images brightest pixel hits 255(in 8 bit terms). If we continue to add +Ev comp we do indeed make ALL our darks and mids brighter/lighter, but those 255 pixels can’t get any brighter/lighter, so we still end up reducing the image contrast ratio.

But using the Ev comp slider WHILE avoiding CLIPPING of highlights/shadows does not - at least visually - produce any contrast ratio change, becuase it’s a blanket, non-selective, non-curve-based adjustment

But being an RGB style adjustment it WILL lead to a variation in all colours, which is really inconsequential in the grand scheme of things PROVIDED you have not white balanced said image. And even if you have, you can always amend that after the fact.

Curves on the other hand are designed to modify CONTRAST from the get-go, irrespective of whether they are composite RGB or individual channel curves, and they will all effect COLOUR too, with the exception of a Lab L* curve.

With Lab, the L*channel allows for CONTRAST adustment without effecting the colour of the a or b channels, and the lightness slider is a quick way of lightening the image.

Certain popular ‘info suppliers’ rave about curves as if they are something new. But when you’ve worked with Photoshop as long as I have (BarneyScan!) you’ll soon come to realise that everything is a bloody curve!
Sharpening is an edge-localised curve which is distributed on yet another curve.
When you blend layers you do so on a curve - just 'cos you can’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there!
In Photoshop both curves and levels effect contrast AND produce colour shifts - unless you switch their blend modes from normal to luminosity. Which is one of the many reasons I use Raw Therapee etc to produce an image that needs final tweaks in Photoshop as opposed to a ‘finished’ image - thus leveraging the power of two different sets of tools to produce the final image - there are NO shortcuts in this game IF you want the ultimate in image quality; or if indeed your paying clients demand it. But that’s a whole other story…

8 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: On editors, OS’, and other things

Hi Andy,
watched a couple of your videos. Very nice. Well paced and easy to follow.

1 Like

There’s a new RawTherapee Basics video.

The RGB Curves, Modes, Custom Shadow, Mid Tone & Highlight White Balance. (38:34)

1 Like

@Andy_Astbury1 : Like many of us I see that you also run into the pull-down-menus-only-half-open-at-times issue (a GTK+ and not an RT bug if I’m informed correctly).

Fastest way to make it open instantly when this happens is to move your mouse pointer over the right hand side widgets. This works for all, not just the misbehaving RGB Curves module.

2021-10-19_09-48

2 Likes

I thought it was my Mac!
Cheers for the tip Jacques :+1:

your description of the “Exposure comensation slider” is great - I now really understand why it has a real justification next to the curves. It does something else.
Andy, thank you very much

1 Like

Andy made another video:

Raw Therapee Tone Mapping & Wavelet Texture Boost + Photoshop Workflow (31:58)

3 Likes

The check is in the post… :+1: :+1: :+1: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And another one:

Topaz Denoise AI v3.6.1 Raw Noise Reduction & Simple Raw Therapee Process. (34:25)

This is, at its core, a video about Topaz Denoise AI v3.6.1, but it also shows how RawTherapee can be used in a very simple but efficient way. So, based on that, I decided to put this one up in this RawTherapee section…

Thanks for linking the video Jade.

I made the video because I found this clean interaction quite by accident if I’m honest. For the Ps users out there I’ve been promoting DeNoiseAI for quite a while now, as it’s a fast and non-complicated way of doing noise reduction in a layered Ps workflow - and I never envisaged there would ever be a meeting or crossover point with RT.

But somewhere in the last DeNoise AI update process I think they’ve changed something about their so-called dng output that suddenly makes it viewable in RT without that vile magenta cast!

I know this workflow will not appeal to everyone because from a technical standpoint it’s a little ‘bastardised’ to say the least. But being able to employ the superb input profile management in RT plus Abstract Profile on what is very good noise reduction (especially if you don’t use the auto settings like I did here) really does produce some cracking final output quality.

The only downside is the ‘hoops’ some folk would have to jump through to get hold of those .dcp files.

1 Like

That module is rather powerful and you showing how to use it is the main reason I linked the video.

I do not use the Tone Curve part, most of the time. I like to dial that in myself. But from a quick edit point-of-view using that one makes editing rather fast.

I also know that there are some users on Pixls that use Topaz and might be interested in what you show/tell.

There’s an article on RawPedia [How to Convert Raw Formats to DNG] that explains, step by step, how to install Adobe DNG Converter in WINE when on Linux. Don’t think that installing it on a Mac or Windows machine is any trouble at all if I’m not mistaken. And although it is not FOSS it is free.

I don’t use the converter itself but installed it to be able to get a hold of the dcp and, just in case, lcp files. That is also the reason why I installed the latest version, even though it does not run in WINE (see linked RawPedia article). It does install and gives me the latest versions of the profiles I would like access to.

2 Likes

[quote=“Andy_Astbury1, post:49, topic:27263”]
plus Abstract Profile [
[/quote

there’s more on Abstract profiles in this video from Andy if anyone is interested. Raw Therapee Basics: 3 Ways to Lighten Images + Simple Noise Reduction Curve Adjustments + Snapshots - YouTube

Andy has been busy: Another one in the Basics series.

Raw Therapee Basics: Tone Mapping, Texture & Detail Extraction with Wavelets (39:10)

7 Likes

Another one in the RawTherapee series:

RawTherapee & Raw Digger: Exposure Compensation, Highlight Clipping & Recovery and more good stuff! (48:45)

PS: There’s a another video Andy posted before this one. RawTherapee only plays a very small roll in that one. The topic might be of interest though: Raw White Balance in Lightroom & RawTherapee - Don’t Sweat the Numbers

3 Likes

Full workflow for underwater RAWs shot with a GoPro Hero 10 Black.

GoPro RAW with Raw Therapee, Topaz DeNoiseAI & Topaz SharpenAI (40:24)