Annoying 20 char limit

Please remove this limit.

1 Like

Word.

1 Like

I hesitated to do so for so long because it generally discourages behavior where a reply post is made that adds nothing meaningful to the conversation.

By way of a great example, houz’s post to show approval for something said on the forum is already handled through the “Like” mechanism, and while reading I would expect that a response that wanted to post something might at least take to time to write out a reasonable thought that added to the conversation. “Word” or “+1” or “I agree” doesn’t add anything to the actual conversation and only clutters up the forum.

I also know that this has been bothering you for a while, @Morgan_Hardwood, so I’ve removed the limitation. :smiley: (Well, set it to a min of 1 character, as they’ve removed the ability to set it to 0 at the moment).

1 Like

Fixed.

You maybe missed @houz’s point here, but the click counter somehow undermines his demonstration :wink:.

1 Like

Agreed

Actually my point was just to agree with @Morgan_Hardwood. And I think that doing that explicitly, especially from a regular visitor, is something different from clicking some like button which I never do – it wouldn’t even come to my mind to use such a button as it’s a sure thing to waste your “vote”.

On the good side, you don’t run out of “Likes” to give if you want. :slight_smile: So there’s nothing to waste.

K, I correct to: »You maybe missed the special way @houz is making his point« ;-). Besides, I agree with him and @Morgan_Hardwood, especially the OP is a good example. Especially, if a migration of the posts to another system becomes necessary, it is likely that the likes will be lost. Of course, discourse is great, but usenet was great as well ;-).

I’m under the impression that discourse is meant to be at least a 10 year solution. Forum software tends to hang around for a long time, look at the number of vBullitin and phpBB installs still around.