Another Color Calibration Question

I do a lot of ‘woodsy’ stuff where the green of trees bushes and shrubs can get overwhelming at times. I find that adding yellow to vegetation does provide better item discrimination even at a single leaf level.
To this point I have not used the new color calibration for this purpose (I am using the ‘old’ tools). I do understand how the brightness and colorfulness works with R, G and B but how will that work with Yellow?

blue and yellow are complementary colours, so adding yellow is more or less equivalent to removing blue.

Worth to have a look at
https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/special-topics/color-management/color-dimensions/
and

to get an idea how to move sliders to get the expected results.

2 Likes

@davidvj Try the brightness and colorfulness sliders but to really tweak something like that use the channel mixer functions…you have more control…play with them using a color wheel if the effect are not immediately obvious…

Depending what you try to achieve, it may be easier to just use the color balance with a hue mask over greens.

1 Like

And there’s the Chroma tab in contrast equaliser, possibly with a mask.

Yes, there are all sorts of alternatives in dt, currently I am using color-contrast → blue-yellow with the blue fully turned off …
My hope was that with this new and sophisticated set of color tools there would be a way.
Photograph is not all about Red, Green and Blue … it is much more about the bits in between.

Do you have an example that you could share that might demonstrate your problem?

Might enjoy this thread…esp using masked RGB color balance with hue shift to tweak color. Color grading with darktable

It’s funny you are adding yellow. I often find the opposite with my greens …too vibrant or yellow so I knock down the “yellow”

Color lookup table is also really good for this …just patch select your green and you can tweak it with Luma a channel b channel saturation…works nicely

I am currently overcoming this need quite easily (as mentioned above) so this is not really a big problem to solve.
As I mentioned earlier … and something that you can readily see with your own images … vegetation sit in a range of green-blue tones depending on the type of tree/bush or grass. When viewed en-mass there is often a loss of color definition. When we add Yellow saturation to the mix, even individual blades of grass appear to have improved structure and in an overall scene better definition is had from differing species.
Just my way … that’s all.

When you add.not we…your taste …glad you have what works …in dark forests or whatever maybe in bright light I would not agree with this sweeping assertion