Another dumb question from me...

…about the Local Edits Color/Tone Correction module. There’s this pair of saturation sliders:

I assume they adjust the saturation at the input and output of the module with the mask(s) and other adjustments sitting between them, as it were, in order of the pipeline ops.

But the more I think about it (which is probably the problem!!) there shouldn’t be any difference between them. That is, unless I’m misunderstanding how they (and masks, etc.) work – which is always a possibility… a probability? :laughing:

If a user-created mask exists then the adjustments only apply to masked areas. If there’s no user-created mask, the entire image is “masked” by default, so adjustments apply globally. Right?

So what’s the difference between the two?

• No user mask – Input adjusts entire image, output adjusts entire image (the same)
  • User mask – Effects of input adjustment are rejected by unmasked areas, output adjusts only masked areas (still the same)

Or does the input slider affect the image globally regardless of whether a user-created mask exists or not?

Thanks.

Hi,
“input” and “output” here refers to whether the saturation change is applied before or after the other colour manipulations (i.e. what you do with the rest of the modules). It has nothing to do with masks.

HTH

OK, that’s a lot simpler. Looks like (as usual) I need to stop “thinking”… :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Hi Alberto and Len, I try an example and I see on version 1.18.1 (linux) that input/output saturation affects only to the masked zone if defined (whole mask if not defined) so I dont understand clearly what Alberto says … something I do not understand clearly I believe.

Alberto means the saturation adjustments will apply to masked (“partial” or full) areas as usual. The sliders just control whether they’re applied before and / or after the rest of the module adjustments.

For example, if you have a mask that’s constrained (defined) by saturation, the input slider might alter the coverage of the mask (by changing saturation “upstream” of the mask), while the output slider will only change the saturation of the image as masked (not altering the mask itself), since that slider is “downstream” of the mask definition.

1 Like

Ok. Understand. I do not realize the effect on mask coverage of saturation control probably because I’ve never used mask in this way. I will try. Thanks a lot.

That’s not what I meant though. The sliders do not affect the mask. The only difference between the two saturation sliders is what I wrote above, i.e. their position wrt the other tools (in the same “region”). The position is meaningful because e.g. changing saturation before tweaking the colours with the wheel is not the same as changing it after. That’s all there is to it…

HTH

1 Like

Well, that seems to make sense to me based on @agriggio 's explanation but, naturally…

Now that I’ve tried it – with both a parametric and a color similarity mask, selecting areas of a specific color – I’ve been unable to create a mask and then alter its coverage by adjusting the input saturation slider.

For example, I made a color similarity mask with a blue sky selected and raised the chroma weighting to 100:

But sliding the input saturation back and forth made no difference to the mask itself. As far as I know there’s no (direct?) method to create a mask based purely on saturation, but I would’ve thought by giving chroma full “importance”, there would be at least some mask change when input saturation was adjusted moved from -100% to +100%. But if so, I didn’t see it. Hiding the mask showed the image effects, but nothing on the mask itself.

So I guess we need to let Alberto educate us both. :slight_smile:

[ edit ] - He just did. LOL

1 Like