Another fairly high contrast scene.

Similar to the previous image I shared, this time with backlighting and a medium amount of haze/smoke. I’d like to see how others treat this kind of scene.
edited in darktable 3.7

AT001144.DNG (15.5 MB)
AT001144_01.DNG.xmp (20.7 KB)

Still kind of struggling with gentler transition between the clipped area and the colour around it, but this time I just mask/hide it with slight film halation fx + bloom. And the LED screen is always prone to maze patterns except for VNG4 method

Have fun!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

4 Likes

high.contrast.scene.02.pp3 (22.8 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development.

I find this to be a hard one. Not all that displeased with it but I cannot get the “white” light (2/3 top-right) to play ball… I might give this one a try in darktable later. Definitely one to come back to.

Liking these challenges you give us :grin:

1 Like

AT001144.DNG.xmp (28.7 KB)

1 Like

Me too, I’m tweaking filmic highlight reconstruction quite a lot for that part to work. And more often in this kind of situation (a lot of coloured light), setting up the “proper” white balance helps a lot, in my case, the “proper” one is the one that give the most separated colour a much as possible so that I could tweak the colours later (set it up to the “correct” white balance rarely work in my case, and sometimes it breaks the “mood”).

Can’t wait to see the darktable version, thanks!

The lazy option… I just used exactly the same settings as I did for the previous scene:

AT001144.jpg.pfi (65.8 KB)

1 Like

Here you are:

high.contrast.scene.02.dng.xmp (15.1 KB) darktable 3.7

This is the more balanced one i think, but I like the previous one, except for the top-right part. If I look at your rendition then there is probably too much blue in my first edit.

Had some fun and experimented a bit with the modules.

1 Like

Yes, the 1st one feels more “moody”, I guess it’s because the white shifted to the blue/cyan colour, and that makes it richer in colours.

I’ll find a more challenging shot again in my archive (haven’t got a chance to shot anything interesting in this recent years), as I still learning about dt/ART myself.

@josemar127 the Monochrome version looks great! i like that high contrast look!