Another happy little doggy with some crazy lightning

Another happy little doggy with shadows in the front and bright sunlight in the background. Curious to see what people make out of it.

DT 3.6.0.1

DSC03483.ARW (23.8 MB)
DSC03483.ARW.xmp (58.3 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

7 Likes

It’s drama-doggy :scream:

1 Like

happy.dog.pp3 (17.8 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Development.

8 Likes

You do not like.

Warm colors, that’s my department :yum: I think, doggy could have some brighter accents, but it’s fine.

Doesn’t matter what I like. Never done any b/w, but I’m not against high contrast b/w. I just would personally prefer to save some information in the darkest areas.

Nice bokeh! Went for a “natural” look.

DSC03483.ARW.xmp (16.1 KB)

10 Likes

Looks like a composition for me.

Can you elaborate on that? Unnatural relationship between foreground and background?
By “natural” I meant, avoiding over sharpining and to much (color) contrast.

Yes. Montage might be a better word.

1 Like

love this dog :slight_smile:
here my try with RT dev 3014

Another happy little doggy.jpg.out.pp3 (14,5 KB)

3 Likes

thanks for posting, bw

DSC03483_03.ARW.xmp (18.0 KB)

4 Likes

dt 3.6

DSC03483.ARW.xmp (9.4 KB)

Great dog portrait!
using DT 3.6 I have tried to find a natural balance for sharpening. White balance for the fur is very subjective because I have never seen the dog in reality.
Thanks for sharing!

DSC03483.ARW.xmp (9.6 KB)

1 Like

If you are interessted: This is pretty accurate the color of doggy.

I know due to the light the picture is very hard to get doggy look natural and not flat and dark.

1 Like

Hi, thanks. in this picture your dog looks more colorful. I have tried to match the colors, but it’s really hard.
DSC03483_02.ARW.xmp (17.4 KB)

1 Like

I find your first version looks a little bit closer. The photos are hard to compare due to completely different lighting and contrasts.

I’m also not able to get good colors using standard-color-matrix or color-calibration for WB.

I reworked some saturation and contrast on my version to make it look more natural. This is the best I can get.

DSC03483.ARW.xmp (30.7 KB)

I gave ART a fast try. Must say, I like it way more than “original” RT.

DSC03483.jpg.out.arp (11.9 KB)

My version in GIMP

1 Like

Thanks for the image. Lately, I have been trying to create my own RawTherapee presets and it is always good to be able to try them out on various images. Sometimes they work great (but other times they completely flop :roll_eyes:) Here are some that seems to work well with this image. The only edits I did were loading my presets, enabling resize and saving.
(Presets require RawTherapee 5.8 dev version or higher)

High key (hard).pp3 (16.3 KB)

Faded memories.pp3 (16.3 KB)

B&W.pp3 (16.4 KB)
(This one could use the exposure pushed another quarter to half stop, but that would be ‘cheating’)