Another Low-Key

I have been working with a form of Low-Key that I find rather useful in modifying image tone. I am using a monochrome (red filter) as an overlay blend and controlling the effect with the opacity slider and the parametric mask.
This approach allows for selective, and very controllable, darkening of image tones that I find is easier to predict than through the tone curve or other modules.
It is so simple that I wonder that I have not done it before …
LowKey

4 Likes

It is a good way to darken blue tones. :+1:

1 Like

It is a general darkening procedure and the parametric mask allows darkening to all or any part of the image.

Nice!
Getting good results for distant bluish mountains.
Thanks!

I have yet to get into things like darktable, overlay blending, parametric masks but is this technique very similar to RGB curves in Luminosity mode in RT?

No! … entirely different from a curves function. Parametric masking allows one to select image areas by individual or combined pixel values (hue, lightness, chroma, or a/b channels) and apply variable densities of change to those areas.
It sounds complicated but in practice it is simple and affords results that are totally unattainable by other systems.