Another scene referred vs display referred

DT 3.6.1. I do a lot of BW lately.

In display referred I use: the color zones for the bw by setting the saturation to 0 and doing my stuff in the lightness tab.

In scene referred, I can use the color calibration. There are preset for various films, but I can’t control the “colours.” Or is there another way of controlling the lightness of the colours?

What are the implications of using the color zone module after the filmic? Would this “screw up” something down the processing pipeline?

Thanks

you can get weird colors if you overdo stuff since you’re operating in lab -
so if you do bw - you won’t see this :wink:

You can use color balance RGB and use the mask with selection of hues.
Use different instances if needed.

The color zones can give bad results, for example, on noisy pictures.

You can put a picture here and you can see what others are able to do

There is also the “gray” tab in the color calibration module.

Frank Walsh shares his workflow…here and I think in a couple of his other videos wrt film??

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware of that video/channel, but it looks interesting. I will spend time watching & re-watching.

The advantage of the color zone vs color calibration + gray tab, is that in color zone I have the eye drop, pick a colour: make it lighter or darker and I have customized my whole image in instance.

With color calibration, I will need to figure out each colour to be changed and then one instance of the module per colour that I want lighter or darker, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Many classic bw conversions are done using the channel mixer. I think I have a list of recipes I will dig up and share for you to play with…using an instance of CC you use the channels…as this is really the new channel mixer…so you don’t always have to do this by selecting colors…often you think of color channels… there will be many many references to this and they need not be DT specific…

1 Like

You can still use display-referred modules in the display-referred part of the pipeline (after filmic or base curve). Those tools cannot deal with exposure > 1, but after the tone-mapping (using some kind of ‘curves’ tool) is done, you may apply it, with care. It’s not listed as one of the modules to avoid, but rather as a module to be used with care.

1 Like