Answer to question "About/What's new?"

If I ask to see what’s new in G’mic, i got this error:
Screenshot 2023-11-15 085117
My environment:

• Win 10
  • GIMP 2.10.36
  • GMIC 3.3.2
  • Samj’s package
    Is it common to other users? (I checked with only one colleague)
    Is there a way to reset the error situation (maybe cleaning a file)?
    Thanks

I was not able to make it crash on my side (tested with Win10, on a VM).
@samj can you confirm the crash?

I can confirm that this function does not work for gmic versions 3.3.2 and 3.3.1 compiled by Samj.
Both versions are compiled with QT6, so it’s probably some missing dll dependencies.
I have verified that this function in version gmic_3.3.2_gimp2.10_win64.zip from Index of /files/windows works well for Gimp-2.10.36_Portable_32-64bit-Win (just replace the files in …\Preferences\ plug-ins\gmic_gimp_qt\ )

Thanks David for testing the official G’MIC and thanks Marek for testing samj’s versions.
Hope Sylvie will fix it.

Bonjour,

I did some tests with Gimp-2.10.36 from Gimp.org and Portable.
Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this problem.

A few comments :

• The DLLs of the archive are complete.
  • These DLLs should not be mixed with others.
  • If you only use the gimp plug-in you can delete Test_Full-Screen_GMIC-CLI_PowerShell.bat , Start_Terminal_With_Test_GMIC.bat , gmic.exe and gmic_qt.exe
  • Here is the configuration of my tests with Gimp-2.10.36 from Gimp.org

I just saw that MSYS2 has made a new version of QT6.
I will redo a new compilation with this new version.
:o)

I made a mistake in my previous message: the archive is with the latest version of QT6.

Since the creation of this archive there have been 2 DLL modified:

dll_modifiees

@samj
I don’t know if this will be useful in any way, but:
the same problem occurs for gmic_qt.exe (maybe only for Windows 10 Home 22H2) but also applies to gimp-2.99.17-Halloween-2023-Win64.
GIMP-WARNING: gimp-2.99.exe: gimp_wire_read(): error

Gmic

Launching G’MIC for the 32bit version of Gimp-2.10.36_Portable_32-64bit-Win looks a bit different (What’s New starts but without data)

@David
I know you don’t want to change it (we discussed it on GimpChat a long time ago Error for List of filters G'MIC? [no-only Japanese translated???] • GIMP Chat), but these bushes really look like some tragic mistake. :wink:

Gmic2

It could also be intersting to know whether other people having installed samj’s package have the same problem as we have (already 3 users have it…myself, my collegue, MrQ) or on the contrary whether someone having samj’s package installed DOES NOT have the same problem…

@dinasset
@MrQ

Bonjour,

I apologize but I did not understand the title of this thread.

2 problems exist and are linked to QT6 with G’MIC Gimp and G’MIC QT in the About tab:

• What’s new?
  • Download External Data

I will try to analyze these 2 problems in the coming days.

Thank you for reporting this problem :o)

Thanks Sylvie, the title is related to the problem I encountered (and one collegue as well as Mrq), i.e.: when you try to have an answer to the G’mic function (question) “About/What’s new?” we get as “Answer” an abend message.
Then MrQ added a recall to a different problem. So you’re right, two problems.

A little explanation:
I’m not sure if QT6 is the main “culprit” because “About/What’s New” for the 32-bit version of Gimp-2.10.36_Portable_32-64bit-Win doesn’t work properly and it’s based on QT5 (I might add that “Update Filters” works well).

@MrQ

Bonjour,

The 32 bits version uses QT5.
To my knowledge, there is no QT6 32 bits MSYS2 version.

I’ve finally seen it - no more “bushes”.
Thank You very much David. :grinning: